Existing Member?

Reach 2007 Reach 2007 is a charity project supporting SOS Children's Villages. We're aiming to raise £15,000 for the charity and conduct coaching days in the villages during two weeks in spring. Read our blog to follow our progress.

Ennerdale

SOUTH AFRICA | Monday, 26 March 2007 | Views [1246]

The first village we visited was Ennerdale near Jo'burg. We had a baptism of fire, coaching 100 children ranging from ages 3-18.

Gemma and Beth coped with a strong demand for their netball prowess, narrowly avoiding a free-for-all in a rather physical end of session match. However all the girls complemented them on their delivery and content.

Chas and Ali inevitably proved the most popular as football is a religion in South Africa, especially at a site less than 10km from the construction site of the 2010 World Cup Final. 'Chaston, pass us the ball' was a popular cry.

Pete and Mark gained the most positive feedback on their mixture of fun and serious games ('heroes' and 'legends'), whilst Dave and Nick captured the excitement of the Cricket World Cup - although, not helped by the thrashing South Africa received the previous day. Em and Sarah organised the little ones and tried to avoid massacre by chalk as the kids lined up to paint by numbers on their faces.

All the kit was donated and gladfully received. It will go towards the village and community projects. The team were also gladly welcomed and mobbed by the kids, treated to a tour of the village by an SOS Mother and served a traditional lunch in one of the SOS houses.

Clare and Ed supervised the day, Ed more successfully than Clare, who twisted her ankle on the netball court and is still hobbling.

Tags: Adventures

About reachteam


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.