Existing Member?

Swedish Shenanigans

Transportation Frustration

SWEDEN | Sunday, 11 May 2014 | Views [233] | Scholarship Entry

I'll never forget the day when, unfortunately, the chain on my bike broke, rendering the bike completely useless. This was quite a dilemma for me, as the apartment I am living in is about a 30-45 min. walk from class. Thankfully it was the weekend, so I had the time to meander around the city of Lund as opposed to flying around on my bike – until Sunday night.

My Finnish friend invited me to watch the Finland vs. Canada hockey game with him and his friends. I readily accepted, and then realized that I had no way of getting there. I could have taken the train, but would have had to switch trains and it would have taken almost half and hour in total. After consulting my good friend Google maps and procuring a bike (thanks to my wonderful German friend!), I set off.

What I failed to realize when looking up my route on Google maps was that this route went through the countryside, on country roads that are reminiscent of one too many episodes of Criminal Minds. Here I was, biking along these rural highways in the pitch black. I’m not going to lie, it was a little bit frightening, but I felt such a sense of accomplishment when I made it to my destination without being mauled by wild boars (yes, apparently those exist in Sweden). Canada also beat Finland, making the whole endeavour worthwhile.

My bike, meanwhile was in the process of being repaired – 700 kr later and I once again have a functioning bike! Hopefully this is the last time I have to put money into this ridiculous rust bucket.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About rdon13


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Sweden

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.