Existing Member?

Let's Get Lost

Arriving in Santiago

CHILE | Wednesday, 3 September 2008 | Views [472]

After almost 25hrs of travelling to get to Santiago and seated cramped in a spot for so long, we were tired and relived that we finally landed at the airport! The view as we were landing, crossing the Pacific Ocean and into Santiago was simply spectacular! I was a flight attendant for 4 years and have never seen anything so beautiful up in the air whilst landing. We took Qantas from PER to SYD and our flight was delayed for almost two hours. Thank goodness for Qantas Club lounge! I tell you when an airport has almost no facilities at all like the Perth a/p, it was really great that we had somewhere comfortable to sit and rest, eat, drink and use the internet at 2am in the morning. We transit 3 hrs in SYD and flew to AKL and had a stop over for ~50mins and the rest of the 14hrs flight into SCL. As you can imagine, we were very very tired when we arrived and all we want to do was to get to our hostel asap. There were lotsa men standing outside the arrival gate, all wanting to give you a ride to your desired location at a rip off price and we fell for that! We were too tired to neither think nor bargain and in the end we got to our Hostel De Sammy at 25000 pesos (~AUD$58) later. We were charged about double the price of what is should be. 

Hostel de Sammy is not too bad though I expected something better from the great reviews given on two different websites. The breakfast here is great! Chris cooks pancakes (banana+apple) and eggs every morning and free internet access. Common shower areas are clean. We paid USD$15 each per night for private double bed with common shower. We have no concrete plans yet but we made a local friend onboard and might go to a World Cup qualifying round of Brazil Vs. Chile this weekend!

Tags: accommodation, taxi

About ratpackers


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.