Existing Member?

wanderlust

From Perth, Australia to Quito, Ecuador

ECUADOR | Monday, 9 June 2008 | Views [375]

Quito, Old Town

Quito, Old Town

Well not too much has happend as yet, but I thought I´d just let everyone know I arrived safe and sound.

The flights were relatively uneventful - just very long.... 36 hours from when I left home, til when I arrived at my hotel in Quito...4 different planes and 6 airports...!  I slept well last night!

Was very excited to touch down on a whole new continent...everyone looks so different - I can´t help but stare!! They all look so fascinating, I want to run up to all of them and ask them where they are from and what there ethnicity is.....

So far I have discovered that most road rules are optional - though red lights are generally obeyed (even then, not always!).  Indicators are rarely used, lanes are arbitary, I don´t think there are any speed limits - oh and of course no one wears seat belts!  Then there are the beggars on the road....the car I saw with 10 people in it!!! and the pick up trucks with 5+ people sitting in the back trays....

Quito is divided into two parts (and surrounded by 3 volcanos). The "new" town is fairly run down, and being a sunday most things were closed (though luckily a vegetarian restaurant was open).  I got 4 dish meal for less than $3USD!!! Insane!! (people ask if you have anything smaller when you give them a $10 bill!!).  I spent the afternoon walking around the old town, which is much prettier.  Both Ecuador & Quito have a fascinating history - indigenous culture, the spaniards, africans(! I was most surprised by this), crashes of economies - but now thankfully one of the most booming south american economies.  I´m told that their chocolate is unique and exceptional  - on the look out for some good quality dark chocolate.

Anyway, tomorrow I am off to do an eight day tour around the Galapagos Islands (utterly indulging the Darwinist in me!!!) - so I am sure when I get back I will have lots of stories and photos.

Until then,

Rach xo

 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.