Existing Member?

creative writing

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Sunday, 22 April 2012 | Views [94] | Scholarship Entry

I was in Islamabad for attending a conference there I realized that it was really a beautiful city of Pakistan. Further I was going to meet my best (University) friend in Kashmir that is a heavenly place in the world. I took a bus for Kashmir in the morning. I was excited for my travel because I was going Kashmir first time. I was listening radio then suddenly my ear received sound of breaking news, 5 minutes ago, "Pakistan witnessed a bitter earthquake, Kashmir is the most destructed". I was terrified after listening. My mind was vibrating like a door bell. As I think of my best friend Waleed, in Kashmir. After few minutes, when I was trying to calm myself down. I picked up the phone, dialed Waleed's Number. It starts ringing. The first, the second and the third, No one’s picking up. My excited travel now turned into a harmful one, and I was praying that when it would end.
On the way, I kept on calling him again, and again UP NO TO AVAIL. HE'S GONE? O God where is he? Why he isn't picking up? These questions were rotating in my mind like spinning tyre. There were mountains in the way but my condition was telling me that they are monsters.
After Eight hours, I finally reached Kashmir. The conditions there were terrible. Houses were destroyed, Bodies on the ground. Ambulances were working as hard as they could; curing the injured.
I finally lost hope, apparently someone else noticed me. I turned to see his face but there were a lot of tears for a clear vision. Just as I was trying to clear my eyes, a sweet warm voice entered into my ears. IT WAS WALEED's voice.
We hugged each other as if we haven't seen each other for a decade. Waleed was so peaceful. How could one be so peaceful after such a disaster? I was overwhelmed by his kindness that I actually decided to stay with him there. I stayed there for six months to help people. That one travel really changed my life.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About ranaumairasif


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.