Existing Member?

This will pass as well

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Tuesday, 24 April 2012 | Views [799] | Scholarship Entry

After we were done with the research, Jakub and I decided to go to Perucica National Park. We found a driver in a local pub, and he took us to a beautiful viewing spot. High mountains in front of us, snow on the top, endless fir forest all around. In the middle of it – the famous Skakavac waterfall. And of course Jakub suggested us to try to reach the waterfall. So I asked the driver about the way and time to get there. He showed us a path, 30-40 min, he can wait for us. Perfect!
We were walking up and down the hill for almost two hours, following the same path. Then I finally stopped and asked Jakub to go back, since our route obviously has no sense and no one would like to spend a night in a forest like this! He suggested to get to the edge of a hill in front of us, see what`s from the other side, and then go back. I was thinking no, but I said yes. So we continued. For the next two minutes. Then we stopped again because I thought I`ve heard something. It was silent for couple of moments and then – a terrible roar. After few seconds, another one; five-six meters in front of us. We couldn’t move. We didn’t breathe. Jakub finally asked what might it be. Bear, I said, no doubts.
We waited. The bear did as well. The time stopped. I could feel myself. And I was not afraid. While walking – yes, but this very moment – no. This was fearless no-time. The roar repeated several times, but no movements. I really felt myself like never before – complete calm, complete awareness of my presence. The feeling of being. Maybe bear feels the same? Maybe just the fear devides us. I don’t care if I die now, I have experienced my real being.
We turned back and started walking slowly, not thinking of this local encounter, not turning around. And this for the next 5-10 minutes. Then we started running. And we were back in half an hour.
`So, how was the waterfall?`, asked the driver.
`I didn’t expect it to be that close and that dramatically beautiful`, replied my old sarcastic self.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About ralf


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.