Existing Member?

Live like river flows, she always knows her way. But never be a dirty one.

Istanbul

TURKEY | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [169] | Scholarship Entry

When you swim the Bosporus at night on the huge party boat and sharing a silence with a German man, who is in love, Istanbul seems the most romantic city in the world. The view is incredible: both shores look like black mountains with yellow mysterious lights. Various mosques, towers and castles are accents, attracting your eyes in the variety of lights. The ship goes under the huge bridge, colored with illumination… and he takes my hand.
Later on, on another evening I would stand on one of these shores with two Turkish guys and talk about youth relationships:
“So how is it going with Turkish girls?”
“We don’t relate to Turkish girls, they don’t relate to us”.
“Really? Why?”
“They never want to have date with sex, they only want to get married”.
I’m a bit surprised. I know several girls, who are in relationships with German men and other Europeans, and they don’t seem to get married soon… “What do you mean?”
“They never date to Turkish guys, but when it comes to Germans… They are all in. You know, German passport has something!!” – says Emre. And I see how offended they are. Being a man in a Muslim country and being rejected by Turkish woman, who is choosing a foreigner…
I’m trying to understand that girls, to explain, to state the differences and as result there is heavy silence in between us. They don’t get it. They seem very offended by me too. How can I compare them, my caring hosts, with some Germans?
In an hour of tense conversation in the cafe terrace Sardar says: “German people are shit”. He is incredibly serious. I laugh, we make a picture with him, put it in my Instagram with his words comment – peace is established once again.
Turkish men have a big ego. I smile to myself: I’m feeling the same tenderly about these guys and the German man on the boat... If only they knew!
We go to various places, eat incredibly good food: kebap, doner ( meat sausage or meat loafs made from beef and/or veal and the best can be eaten with Ayran – very popular local drink, familiar to sour milk). I try pide and lahmajun (Turkish variations of pizza – delicious!), also various salads(my personal winner is tomatoes+cucumbers with pomegranate sauce) and soups (they are usually creamy and have pea flavour). And TEA. Tea is served in special glass cups, which have a shape of sand-glass( or, some say, a woman body line). Turkish usually pay for their guests. On my departure day I insist on paying for our breakfast and see Emre and Sardar being very uncomfortable...

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About raku6ka


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.