Existing Member?

Delicious Escape

absurd decision leads to a nice adventure

BOSNIA & HERZEGOVINA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [202] | Scholarship Entry

Bosnia and Herzegovina had never been on my dream-travel-list. Even after making a completely absurd decision by accepting the offer to go there, I still could not find a rationale reason, except a way to escape from the life I was living on.

Sarajevo, the first city I visited, is a capital city of the country. Not like any other developing countries I have seen in the TV, Sarajevo is just a small, quiet city. At a glance, the city is not attractive enough for tourist. But as soon as you got to know, you see many different things blend together, which makes the city more beautiful.

The city center of Sarajevo, known as Bascarsija, present many different things. People, culture, religion, and many other things mingle with each other without loosing its original value, and still with respect toward each other. Five minutes walking for the tram station of Bascarsija, you will find a cafe shop called Morica Han. From its name, I could not think its origin, but once you got in, you might feel how turkish and bosnian culture are presented here. I was there for couple of times, and surprise myself to see people from everywhere were there, locally and internationally. The bosanska kafa is one of their best offer.

Another minute walking from Morica Han, Gazi Husrev-beg Mosque, a mosque built by an architect from Ottoman Empire, is located. This place is one of the important site for muslim in the region, as well as for the country during the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Not far from there, you will find Katedrala Srca Isusova, an old cathedral built in 19th century. These two religious building are located close to each other somehow tell us how people there, even from completely different background, can live together and understand that the differences makes the life more beautiful.

Another thing in Bascarsija, you need to try their local food, such as Cevapcici and buregdzinica. It is a big lose if you visit this place without tasting it. If you are muslim and worry whether you can eat the food or not, there are some places with Halal logo, or if you cannot find one, you might just ask directly to the waiter, and they will respond you nicely.

Beside the city, there is a natural park called Vrelo Bosna, located in southwest of Sarajevo. This city landmark can be reach by foot, bicycle, or horse-carriage. Be ready to be captivated by its beauty.

Even an absurd decision can bring us happiness. See new people, learn new thing, enrich your experience

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About rahmanovicme


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Bosnia & Herzegovina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.