Existing Member?

Food Travelling

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - Journey in an Unknown Culture

WORLDWIDE | Wednesday, 9 March 2011 | Views [336] | Scholarship Entry

Many People say between Indonesia and Malaysia has a close culture.
But I say no.
In September 2002 I was went to Kuala Lumpur for attending my School Training. I went there with my other college’s friends. It was 11 of us. As a student of Hotel school in Jakarta we are eligible to attending our Training program. And one Hotel in Kuala Lumpur was agreed to pick us as their trainee. Off course after several Tests we’ve been joining.
As a trainee for 6 months we have to do our daily job description in each Department that we’ve been choose. I was a trainee for Pastry. My first one month was heavy. Even the staff speaks melayu language that some words have the same meaning with Indonesian language, but still there are a lot differences. I kept thinking like I was trapped to somewhere unknown place with weird habits, language and culture off course.
As an Indonesian if someone asks us “can you do that?” we will answer “yes, I can” –translate to Indonesian- “Ya, saya bisa” BISA mean CAN. But when it comes to Malaysian “BISA” transform to unpolite word. And yes, I kept answering “Ya,saya Bisa” and I will get the shock faces staff.No mention how terrible for me to understand the Chinese chef when they speaking.And,yes. Silence is gold.
After a month, I’ve learn to travelling alone. Since our day off between me and my friends was different, so I have to learn to travel alone to places that still close (1-2 km) to the hotel. A mall or restaurant for example. I still remember the Indian (India) Taxi Driver that speaks Melayu English with a weird accent. Sometime I just said “Ya… yes... ooh... ok..” to that Indian Taxi driver covering my leak –didn’t-understanding what his speaking off. And I realize at that time how I missed to meet Indonesia taxi or a Bus driver that speaks Indonesian language.
The other unknown culture that I have been dealing also was the food. Honestly the hotel very often serve –very heavy- Indian food or (for me) undelicious Malaysian food -like ayam merah that I felt like fake chicken -to their staff. Even there are still delicious foods in Malaysia but very rare serve in Staff Canteen. A mall was the savior. Once a week was feel like heaven to me,went to mall and bought some delicious food like Hainan Chicken Rice,Nasi Lemak or Nasi goreng kampong .Sadly to say, a fast food franchise restaurant next to Hotel was also our savior.Since the Hotel location is beside The Highway, there were no restaurant or Entertainment public area very close-without using transportation- to the Hotel. Only Gas station with That Fast food restaurant was nearby.
But however those 6 months was amazing time for me. I have learned other people culture,language and food.We also travelling to other interesting places in Malaysia.
I’ve been trapped in unknown culture but hey,I am free now.

Tags: #2011Writing, Travel Writing Scholarship 2011

About rahayudee


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.