Existing Member?

Out of Australia and into the world

Hopes and dreams shattered in one lunchtime

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 11 June 2008 | Views [313]

Today I met with Hannah from Elizabeth Norman International www.elizabethnorman.com who I was put in touch with by Andy from AML Resources www.amlresources.com.au. During this meeting Hannah was going to tell me a little about the Market Research industry in the UK and give me advice on where to look for work and what kind of expectations to have and perhaps even line up a few interviews for me. It was to be a very important meeting. So important in fact, that I even dared to ask to leave for lunch 10 minutes early so that I would arrive on time (that's a big deal if you work in my team at Roy Morgan where no extra time is rewarded - or even acknowledges - but any small amount of time has to be made up).


So today I put a bit of effort in to getting ready for work. I paid more attention to my makeup and straightened my hair and wore some nice clothes. Hannah was lovely and things were going really well. Until she looked at my resume and figured out that despite having worked at Roy Morgan Research as a Data Analyst for the last 18 months, I have NO research skills. Things spiralled very quickly from this moment. It was interesting to watch Hannah's brain working over time to try to make things sound positive even though it was obvious she didn't think she could help. What it comes down to is that without any real research skills, companies just won't be prepared to invest in someone that is only allowed to work for 12 months. And that is perfectly fair I suppose. Except that I'd be more than happy to stay for longer in the right position.


Hannah suggested staying in Melbourne for another 2 years and get some more (better) experience, broadening my skillset. That is very sound advice and worthwhile considering but I had my heart set on packing up and leaving to get a wonderful nine to five job somewhere in the UK where I could spend my weekend jet setting around Europe. I've had enough of everything here. Totally ready to go. And I feel as though I will be faced with the same problems finding a job in Melbourne as I would be in the UK (aside from the visa thing of course).


I already had a sneaking suspicion that I had wasted the last 18 months of my life at Roy Morgan and that it wouldn't help my career at all and Hannah, unintentionally, confirmed that for me today.

A cocktail would be lovely right now.

About rage


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.