Existing Member?

Rachel's Travels!

Dubai/Brisbane/Sydney!

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 1 May 2007 | Views [1101] | Comments [1]

Hey everyone!

It's taken me so long to get this up and running!! I was supposed to set this up before I left home for all the family and friends to keep track of what I'm doing but of course typical Rachel never got around to it, and now I've been away 3 months already! It's scary how quick the time has gone when I think about it!

Dubai was really amazing. I guess because I was so focused on the fact I was going to Australia for the year that I hadn't really given much thought to Dubai. It's so strange because parts of Dubai are so beautiful, and yet other parts are so fake, and of course there is all the building work that is going on which would drive you crazy! I got to meet Sarah, my friend from Trinity, there and we had a great few days exploring and some fun nights out. I don't think you can actually contemplate how rich the Arabs are until you go and see Dubai and all its amazing buildings for yourself. Having said that I thought it was quite reasonable, the accomodation was uber cheap and really nice, taxi's were cheap too, and we had to get taxi's everywhere because we're women and not allowed on buses or public transport! Such a different world! Well not really that different, dublin bus is probably the same, they all drive past you anyway! We did a dessert safari in a 4x4 which was incredible, and kinda scary at times...the speed of those things especially when you're going over all the sand hills! That night we went to a special dinner evening in the middle of the dessert, was really cool underneath the stars. I even got to dress up in traditional arab clothing and get my photo taken with an arab man which I was able to email to Mum and tell her I'd ran away with an arab man and turned muslim ha ha ha!!

So I arrived in Brisbane on the 29th January, Cat and Sue met me at the airport! Oh yeh I had my ugg boots on and it was something like 38 degrees outside, well done Rachel! Brisbane was really good, got to spend time with Catherine, great friend from South Africa who used to live in Swords, and her family. Me and Cat had some good times out! :)

There is a man made beach in the middle of the city in Brisbane which is just fantastic! We even went night swimming there :) The city is very easy to get around and I loved the water taxis...you get a great view of Brisbane from them.

I have to say one of the highlights of my trip so far has been Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo. It's really natural looking and it's actually quite small but that makes it really easy to get around and you don't miss out on anything, like feeding all the animals. Best of all I got to hold a koala! Aw i loved her! :)

I got to see a bit of the Gold Coast and Surfer's Paradise while I was staying in Brisbane but I'm looking forward to exploring it a bit more when I travel the east coast properly in the next few weeks.

After Brisbane I went straight to Sydney - 15 hours on the train! Me and Cat found ways to kill the time though! Cat came with me for the first week and we stayed in Manly, where I've been ever since. The hostels are really good out here. I much prefer Manly to Bondi though, Bondi is extremely tacky! Kind of like the seafront at Bray but better weather! Actually I think i'd pick Bray over Bondi any day!!! Manly is very quaint and pretty, there are alot of tourists there but minus the tackiness! The nightlife is great in Manly, lots of nice bars, and I really like how the tourists and locals mix well together. I think the best night is Wednesday - Kareoke in the Steyne! There are some right randoms and weirdos living around Manly, they're hilarious!

The blue mountains were really cool, you can see my pics in my photo gallery. Oh and you'll also see my pics from Summer bay there...you wanna see me when we got to summer bay, i've never been so excited about anything in my life ha ha! And then, best of all, me and Cat went for a drink at the Manly Wharf Bar, and guess who was playing pool?! Jack from Home and Away!! (he's the cop for any of you who don't watch it!), so you can see my pic with Jack there too!

I've been working away the last while, but I totally finish work this Friday...hurray! I've been working as a receptionist, nice job but I really hate doing office work while I'm travelling. It's so sunny outside and you're stuck in boring offices, no thanks! Oh well, hopefully I won't have to work again for another few months! :) Steph arrives on Friday so that will be great! Then I'm off up the east coast in the next 2 weeks or so. So excited about seeing Fraser Island, the Whitsundays, Cairns, Noosa, Byron etc etc.

Oh yeah next week there's a few of us going to Hunter Valley, where all the vineyards are. You get to test loads of wine so it should be good craic :) There's also chocolate testing!! :) I have to say it'll probably be the only time I miss my Mum, my great wine drinking partner ha ha ha ha!!! (aw just kidding mum i always miss u!!)

Well I better go now before my boss catches me on the internet AGAIN!! I know I probably won't write on this again for ages, so sorry in advance!

Missing everyone!

Luv, Rach xxx

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

This site needs to be updated! don't wait until you come home to do it! Put the latest pictures on it too. Miss you loads. Hugs, champagne, wine, tea and chocolate!!!

  Geraldine - RachelTara's 'wine drinking and chocolate testing Mum'. Jun 21, 2007 5:21 AM

About racheltara


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.