Existing Member?

Rachel's Travels

What to Look Out For on a Safari

TANZANIA | Wednesday, 17 August 2011 | Views [410]

I recently went on an amazing safari holiday to Africa with Audley Travel.

It was a life-changing experience and I thought I'd write my first story on World Nomad about Africa’s numerous game reserves, which are home to a stunning array of wildlife. I thought I'd make some recommendations on what you should look out for on a safari holiday!

 

The Big Five

Traditionally used to describe the most dangerous animals in a big-game hunter’s repertoire, ‘the Big Five’ is now a term which refers to the most desirable animals to see on a safari – namely lion, leopard, elephant, rhino and buffalo. Your guide will be able to take you to the best places to spot these impressive animals, allowing you to observe them as safely as possible. Lions are probably the easiest to spot owing to their habit of spending their days lazing around in large groups. West Tanzania’s Katavi Park is one of the best places to see buffalo, particularly from June to October, when herds number around 3,000 animals.

 

Zebra

Did you know that no two zebras have exactly the same stripes? Surprisingly, nobody actually knows for sure why zebras have stripes; theories range from camouflage to a kind of natural protection from the harsh African sun. Whatever the reason, these striking animals are always a popular spectacle on safari.

 

Giraffe

Giraffes are the tallest land mammals in the world and are easy to spot in wildlife reserves across Africa. Their long necks allow them to pluck the leaves from the tops of their preferred vegetation, acacia trees – aided by their 53cm tongues! Like the zebra, no two giraffes are the same, and they too are a universally popular sight with safari-goers.

 

Wild dogs

Native to the sub-Saharan plains of Africa, the African wild dog has distinctive dappled markings which give it the name “painted dog”. They live and hunt in packs similar to wolves, and although they are an endangered species, they can still be found in many of Africa’s game reserves. If you’re lucky, you might see them hunting their favourite prey, the antelope.

 

Ring-tailed Lemurs

The adorable ring-tailed lemur is a firm favourite with safari-goers. Difficult to miss with their vivid black and white striped tails, they’re found only on the African island of Madagascar. Incredibly, 80% of the species which inhabit this diverse island are found nowhere else on Earth, and the same goes for both the ring-tailed lemur and the rest of the lemur family. One of the best places to see these wonderful creatures is in the popular Berenty Reserve on the south coast of the island, which is also known for its splendid bird-watching opportunities.

 

Bushbabies

Cute and cuddly-looking bushbabies are small and exceptionally agile primates which come out at night – so make sure your safari holiday includes a nocturnal excursion if you want to see them. Roughly the size of a squirrel, they get their name from their distinctive cry and feed on insects, which they locate in the dark using their refined sense of hearing. Their preferred habitat is wooded areas, where they inhabit tree hollows.

Tags: africa, african animals, african wildlife, safari, safari holiday

About rachelstravels


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.