Existing Member?

Off The Beaten Path

Motorbikes and Jungle Juice

THAILAND | Thursday, 17 April 2014 | Views [563] | Scholarship Entry

As I sit in the softly swinging hammock strung between large pieces of driftwood at Monkey Bar on the beach, I can’t help but shake my head at how amazing easy it is to be here, while wondering how I got here in the first place.

I seem to say that a lot about Southeast Asia. It’s easy. Easy to navigate, easy to find fantastic food, easy to interact with the people who are always welcoming and full of great stories -- The Thai island of Koh Lanta is no different.

I like to call Koh Lanta “transitional Thailand,” since it’s so close to the Malaysian border, and is home to a lot of Malaysian people and customs that have crossed over the border. That – and you still have to hunt for pork (which is sparse in Malaysia).

Koh Lanta has what you're looking for. An isolated and deserted beach, a high-end resort experience, haphazard bungalow living by the sea – its all here waiting for you among the ramshackle beach bars, thatch-roofed bungalows, and Barracuda BBQ dinners.

By far my favourite spot in Klong Khong beach is Monkey Bar. Located on the water, the haphazard collection of low tables, comfy cushions, and beachside hammocks is exactly what you’re looking for – no matter what you’re looking for. Learn how to slack line, snorkel out front, read one of their many books, or enjoy some “special” drinks like "jungle juice" if you’re into that sort of thing.

If you come during daylight hours, you might have to rouse someone wrapped up in a hammock from the night before, but no one will bother you if you decide to sleep the mid-day heat away in the ocean breeze. 2 weeks later, we’re STILL not sure if Monkey Bar is actually open during the day, but someone keeps bringing us watermelon shakes and taking our money so who cares.

The best way to see the island (and most places you visit) is by motorbike. You’ll go to beaches, caves, cliff top restaurants, and rocky bays that you never would have found otherwise. You can rent a motorbike for 200 baht (about $7 USD) for 24 hours and cruise around the island.

It’s amazing how Thailand captures you. Several friends are now heading this way after being lured by beach photos and adventures from the East. I myself had plans to move on but instead find myself sneaking up to Chiang Mai to join the throngs of digital nomads that get caught by the area known for it’s livability and chill atmosphere. Until then, I think I’ll find another hammock and watermelon shake and wait for the sun to set on another day in Koh Lanta.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About racheljoygypsy

Maya Bay, Southern Thailand

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.