Existing Member?

A'wondering Somehow getting myself from A-B...

Huancavelica Glacier

PERU | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [192] | Scholarship Entry

The world was a mixture of bright shades of turquoise, a collection of browns and glistening white. The air was crisp and fresh. All was quiet, until exclamations were heard: ‘We’re so f****ng HIGH UP!’
That was in fact an understatement. We were not at the top of the Shard, looking from the roof of the Empire State, nor surveying the Grand Canyon. We were 5000 metres above sea level on a glacier in Peru. We were indeed very high up.
Scaling the summit was no simple task, and without exaggeration we didn’t all make it. One unlucky member of the group succumbed to the altitude within half an hour and had to retreat. There were times when I envied her, and cursed my own body for not bolting at the prospect of this trek.
Staying in Huancayo, we had acclimatised to a sea level of 3300 metres, and even then had occasionally become breathless on the short stroll into town. This was something else altogether. I considered myself to be in the height of fitness, yet here I was counting 10 measly steps and stopping for a break. Walking in high altitude felt like I had tied a lead weight to each leg and worn a plastic bag over my head for good measure. To this day I credit the trusty Oreo biscuit for my very survival.
We trekked and clambered up and over rocks and boulders for more than 3 hours, occasionally passing locals who watched, bemused, chewing their coca leaves. We were breathless and tired, but ever optimistic with a sense of excitement and adventure that picked us up after every 10-step break, and forced us to take the next 10.
The minutes dawdled by and slowed to a stop as we finally reached the peak. My friends and I collapsed in a happy heap on the ice, taking in the vast expanse of air and sky. The strain of the previous 3 hours melted away. Wrapped in my woolly alpaca jumper, faced with a panoramic view of arid rocks dotted with turquoise lakes, I basked in the achievement and literally felt on top of the world.
Time regained its control, and we made a content and clumsy descent. Fueled, of course, by another packet of biscuits.
Huancayo in central Peru is a vibrant market town with varied day trips nearby, showing the diversity of South America: photo opportunities with resident llamas at Laguna de Paca; a tropical jungle experience in La Merced; dusty rock formations to explore at Torre Torre; and of course the majestic Huancavelica glacier. My advice for you to get the best out of your trip? Don’t forget your Oreos!

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About rachelgy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.