Existing Member?

Free spirited Adventurer

Death by Zip Line

GUATEMALA | Thursday, 8 May 2014 | Views [1420] | Scholarship Entry

I’ll never forget the day that I “almost died” while zip lining in Guatemala. It was my second time visiting the exotic and beautiful country of Guatemala and my hosts were ecstatic to bring me to a new zip lining place they found. Before that day, I had never been zip lining or on any other activity of that nature. I am not one that is scared of heights, but to be completely frank, this place was somewhat “sketchy” and made me slightly nervous. No one spoke English, nor did they have any waivers or orientations that a normal North American zip lining course would have.

So there I was, just a 15 year old girl, knees shaking and heart racing. I was with a group of friends who were taunting me and telling horror stories. The “instructor” gave us our harnesses and made sure they were secure and tight. We took the short hike up the hill to the first base of the course. I walked up the steps of the wobbly ladder, with the fear of falling off of the base, let alone the actual wire of the zip line. This did not make me feel confident about what I may encounter next. My friends Dave, Zack and Justin went ahead of me, while Luke and Rita went after me in line.

The instructor attached me to the wire, showed me how to brake and let my fly! The view, oh my, the view was breathtaking. I flew through the mountains looking upon the trees and the valley below. I wish I could take a mental picture and see that picture over and over again. I thought no one would be able to hear me screaming at the top of my lungs, but boy was wrong. Once I landed at the second base (which I totally messed up on braking and smashed into the tree), everyone was there laughing their heads off at me.

Nevertheless, I made it through the first few lines of the course. After completing the third line, I landed on the rocky, wooden base, with excitement and adrenaline rushing through me. I finally felt confident and safe with this activity. Well, until I heard Justin in front of me laughing with the others and said, “ just don’t tell Rachel until the course is done”. That is when I said, “Don’t tell me WHAT?!” I then looked over at him and he is holding the left strap and buckle of his harness in his hand. “WHY in the world did you undo half of your harness?”, I asked. That is when he began to explain to me that it may or may not have come undone and broke during the zip line.

In the end though, I completed my first zip line safely and loved it, regardless of the harness scare.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About rachelfast


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.