Existing Member?

On the Road Again... in NZ

Catching Up, Slave Labour, and other such stuff...

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 30 March 2008 | Views [1065] | Comments [16]

Okay, so here we go. I know we've been here in New Zealand for two months (hard to believe), so we've got a lot of catching up to do. We apologize for being such slackers... there are no excuses, just chalk it up to us being lazy buggers. This will be a long one, but now that we've finally got this thing started, hopefully we'll be updating it a little bit more frequently. So here goes nothing....

After spending a great week in Vancouver with the Nicholas cousins (thank you so much for everything, we really miss you guys!) we began our NZ adventure in Christchurch. For those of you that don't know, Christchurch is the largest city in the south island, with a booming population of 350,000. We spent our first three weeks there getting ourselves acquainted with this beautiful country, and also getting ourselves sorted out in terms of bank accounts, tax numbers, and all that fun stuff. We were amazed at how quickly & easily things happen in this country... no long waits, no stacks of paperwork, and generally no messing around. By day three we already had everything organized and had managed to buy ourselves a car... our first one! It's a 1993 Toyota Windom (comparable to a first generation Lexus - plush, I know!) which we've lovingly named "Winnie", and who has seen us through our first two months with no problems at all... knock on wood.

Our time in Christchurch was spent mostly just hanging out... lots of days on the beach, hiking & mountain biking, and just sitting around enjoying ourselves. One highlight was probably Adrenalin Forest, an adventure park not far from us which boasted high-wires, swing bridges, tarzan swings and zip-lines... a great way to spend the afternoon! There were four levels to this park, and lets just say that by level three, I was crapping my pants & praying for strength. Simon had to talk me through a lot of it as there were many points in the course that I thought I would have to be rescued from one of the tree platforms, but luckily I perservered & made it through till the end - a major feat!

From Christchurch we've been heading north along the east coast of the island. Our first stop was a two-night stay in Hanmer Springs, a small alpine village which is famous for its hotsprings. Needless to say we enjoyed the hotsprings after a short but strenuous alpine trek, and had a brush with fame when we saw Kate Bosworth (from the movie Superman) at the thermal pools. Simon kept his cool, but I was pretty excited. Luckily he didn't let me make an ass out of myself, and I didn't bother them for a photo or an autograph or anything, but I sure was tempted, and I kept my eyes peeled for the rest of the weekend! Oh yeah, and Simon insists that Kate was checking him out, but I can't 100% verify that.

After Hanmer Springs we stopped in Kaikoura for four days, which is known for its marine life & beautiful coastal scenery. We had a great (and expensive) four days there, as we did two big activities - swimming with fur seals & swimming with dolphins. Both were amazing experiences, but my favourite hands down was the dolphin swim. The fur seals were cute, albeit very stinky, but unfortunately we had very poor water visibility that day so had a bit of a hard time seeing anything really well. They mostly stayed up on the rocks, and when they did come down into the water, they didn't seem all that interested in us anyways. The dolphins, however, were much more interactive and playful. We were probably swimming with a pod of about 100 dolphins, and they would swim right up to you (and under you) in groups of about 3 or 4. We entertained them with our musical prowess through our snorkels, mostly consisting of squeeks, whistles & humming. It must have worked, because they kept coming back for more, and if you made eye contact with them & kept them engaged, they would swim circles around you until you couldn't keep up anymore & were on the verge of puking. It was a ridiculously early 5:30am start, but very much worth it... we will definitely go back and do it again!

From Kaikoura, we continued our journey north, stopping in Picton for five days. Picton is a small port town and is the gateway to the south island (the Interislander cruise ship arrives here from Wellington in the north island). Picton is located in the Marlborough Sounds, which is a cluster of small islands that are really quite isolated, many of which can only be accessed by boat. We stayed about 20 minutes from Picton along the Queen Charlotte Drive, which is wonderfully scenic but also incredibly treacherous (spelling?). I'm happy to say that Simon & I are comfortable in our roles as driver (Simon) and navigator (me)... I'm too damn busy with my head stuck out the window to be focused on the roads! Anyways, we enjoyed our stay in the Sounds, although it rained for the duration of our short stay, and as we were stuck in a pretty remote area, we did a lot of TV watching. We did manage to get in a short hike along the Queen Charlotte Track (which if done in it's entirety can take up to 4-5 days) and also went sea-kayaking one of the days, but both excursions were pretty chilly & wet... we made the best of it, and hope to go back to do the 5-day hike in better weather. As luck would have it, the sun came bursting into the sky the morning of our departure, but at least it made for some easier driving!

And here we are, almost caught up to present time. We have been in the Nelson/Richmond area for almost a month I guess, which is crazy because it doesn't seem like that long. We stayed our first two weeks on a farm which runs a horse-treking business, so we were able to get out for a ride one afternoon... for those of you who don't know, Simon was a cowboy in a past life. He really showed me up, and needed very little watching-over from the guides. Me, on the other hand, needed a little bit more supervision, but I held my own and even got my trot-on in the end. We made friends with the local animals, including Graham the goat, Lilly the pig, Bill & Ted the dogs, and Rossi the cat, which I lovingly renamed "Kitty" and was very tempted to kidnap when we left... who knew I was a cat-lover?

Most recently, Simon & I have obtained work as apple pickers at a local orchard. To describe it in one word is easy: hell. It is by far the hardest work that either of us has ever done, and we're getting paid diddly squat to do it. As suggested in the title, slave labour comes to mind and is very apt... I now know what it must feel like to be a young child in a third-world country who sews clothes for the Gap and makes pennies a day. It's all Simon & I can do to drag our asses out of bed in the morning and make our way to work for 8am, where we proceed to pick apples in the scorching sun (or rain as it may be) for 8 hours a day, getting paid a whopping $30 per bin. For those of you who may not know, there are approximately 1 million apples in a bin, and Simon & I are lucky to pick 5 bins a day between the two of us. If you do the math, Simon and I make $150/day before tax deductions, which means we are making roughly $5 below the minimum wage of $12.50... pretty grim. However, work will only continue for the next 2-3 weeks, and then Simon & I will find ourselves jobless once again... thank God! The irony of my job is, I can't even eat apples - I'm allergic!!

However bleak the job may be, we're able to break even and at least cover our cost of living for the time being. I think we were pretty naive to think we would be able to put some money away into savings, but at least we're not dipping into our dwindling funds from back home. I think it's fair to say that we now truly appreciate the value of a dollar, and on the plus side, we're doing good, honest work in the great outdoors. And in three weeks time, the two of us are going to be ripped!!

And that's it! I told you it was going to be a long one... hopefully we won't leave updating this thing for another two months. We'll do our best to keep in better touch, and hopefully we'll hear back from some of you to find out how you're all doing. Hope all is well with everybody... we miss you!!

Until next time....

Comments

1

Hi guys,
Great to hear from you and know you are doing well. Pretty nice wheels to travel around in. We just celebrated Elliott's first birthday and you probably got Ryan's note that he and Brenda are expecting in late Oct. We are very excited about getting a new grandchild. We are in Vancouver staying another 3 weeks the end of an 8 week stay. We are all well and looking forward to spring and some nicer weather. Loved your shots of scenery but mostly loved seeing your smiley faces. Keep the notes coming. Take care. Love AJude

  Judy Nicholas Mar 30, 2008 5:04 PM

2

Hi Both. Veeeeery interesting!!. Hope the Seals have recovered from the close encounter with a Simon. Envy you your travels, hope the "Braeburns" fill the bins more rapidly. The motor looks remarkably good for the mileage pity about the model that was taken with it. Take care and enjoy
MUM + DAD

  THE OLD MAN Mar 31, 2008 1:42 AM

3

Hi rach & simon, I just got home from work and what a treat to find your e mail and account of your travels and pictures ( beautiful!!)Have the time of your life-you both look fab. love you both deb xxoo

  Aunt Deb Mar 31, 2008 2:04 AM

4

What a nice surprise to hear from you guys. Your
pictures are beautiful. Sounds like you two have had
quite alot of fun so far. Glad to hear that you are
both well and enjoying New Zealand together. We are
all doing fine. Jeremy and Wade are both driving on
their own now. Not too often are both of our cars
in the garage anymore at the same time. Julia is still hanging out in her room like most teenage girls do at her age. She will be graduating from Grade 8 in a few months. Dave and I have been working out alot at Park Fitness so we're hoping to be pretty buff by the summer time. Which way to the beach? I will be starting my 2nd part-time job at the Oaks of St. George in a few weeks ( thanks to Jeannette). Now that the boys have decided they want to go to University I figured that working 2 days a week won't cut it anymore. Oh well, I will have my professional job and my fun job then. We will look forward to checking your blog from now on. Thanks for the update, and take care to both of you.
Shelley and Dave

  Shelley Nicholas Mar 31, 2008 7:24 AM

5

Hey R/S,

A quick line to say hello and to wish you both all the best in your indentured servitude. Be sure to have at least one massive apple-throwin' session before you leave the orchard, but try to avoid headshots. And use someone else's apples, since ya gots ta get paid, you know?

I'm still planning on taking some time to come visit -- if only to enjoy the NZ weather and quote Daniel Day-Lewis lines -- but I'm not sure if it'll be in July or October/November at this point. I'll let you know as things firm up on this end.

Much love, Dave.

  The Asian Brother/Hood Mar 31, 2008 8:17 AM

6

Hi there

So good to hear from you two! Sounds like you have been having some wonderful adventures. My god I remember picking you up at the airport in Sendai four years ago Rachel, you were very internationally green! Now - things have changed a bit as you have been globe hopping for the past four years. Great going.

Steve

In The UAE

  Steve Mar 31, 2008 4:41 PM

7

NOT FAIR,
Alright bro, it's big bro!
Here's you enjoying a bit of inter species apple love and here's me counting down the days until I get out of this hell hole that is the British academic profession and travel over to see you.
Glad you are both doing well (thanks for the text yesterday on Hell's birthday)
Jim
13 weeks/63 days/216 hours left of teaching!!!!

  Bro Mar 31, 2008 7:31 PM

8

Great pictures and wonderful to hear from you. New Zealand looks wonderfully picturesque. We have been waiting patiently for words from you so thanks for giving us lots. All is well with the Nicholas crew in Burlington. Erie Beach on the 19th of April, we will talk about you. (all good of course)

  Uncle Tom Mar 31, 2008 11:31 PM

9

What a great way to start my week!Fabulous to hear from you two. The pictures are amazing & it's so great now to have met Simon & see you both looking so happy!Not much new here with me...back to work (fortunately NOT apple picking)and waiting for the snow to disappear. Keep up the good work with the blog...I love to hear about your adventures. I'm travelling vicariously through you!
Love to you both, Jeannette

  Jeannette Mar 31, 2008 11:32 PM

10

Hi Guys!
Love the blog! Sounds like you guys are having a great time, minus the apple picking ;-) The pics are amazing and you both look great! Thanks again for the other email and when you guys come back from NZ next year, I hope you stop in Vancouver again. You'll have to meet your new little cousin :-)
Miss you both.
Lots of love
Brenda

  Brenda Apr 1, 2008 2:45 AM

11

Dear Rachel and Simon:

I was pleasantly surprised by the length of your first blog. I will be checking frequently although I know your access to the internet is sporadic. Rachel, I really enjoyed our long talk last Saturday. It's great that you have a land line right now. Hope the apple picking goes well while it continues. Just think of all the muscles you're building. PS Loved all the pictures - the weather sure looks better than it is here. We'll talk next weekend.

Love Mom & Dad

Hope the appl

  Mom & Dad Apr 1, 2008 3:48 AM

12

Soo good to hear from you! sounds like your travles are a blast, and your pictures are beautiful-i am a tid bit jealouse right now...Anyways, stay safe and thanks for all the scrumptous apples!!
xoxoquinn

  Quinn Apr 1, 2008 5:29 AM

13

Hello Simon & Rachel,
Thanks for the update and the fabulous photographs. It looks a lovely country. The apple picking sounds hard work, though you sound as if you are enjoying it! We are fine as are Martin & Ali. We look forward to future updates and photographs.
Love to you both, you are often in our thoughts.
Jeni & Bernie

  Jeni Clarke Apr 1, 2008 9:16 PM

14

How wonderful!
I'm glad to hear both of you are having great days.
I've never been to NZ. very beautiful place....
I hope to see you someday!!

Tomoe

  Tomoe from Japan Apr 5, 2008 6:56 PM

15

hey guys!
finally had a chance to sit down and read your blog! i guess i'm lucky in that i'd already heard most of the stories of your adventures so far...nice to see it in writing though. and LOVE the pictures....keep 'em coming!

not much new here...busy busy at work. and hey, speaking of slave labour, server wage just went up to $7.60/h back home, so i'm sitting in the lap of luxury these days!

7 months and counting until the gypsy fam is reunited...rach i want to try to get a hold of you this weekend. love you both xo

  Erica/Shmoops Apr 6, 2008 5:47 AM

16

Hello!
I'm glad to hear you're well and enjoying your trip. I'm looking forward to updates snd beautiful photos!!
Take care.

Mie

  Mie Apr 30, 2008 5:23 PM

About rachel_simon

Getting ready for our dolphin swim

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.