Existing Member?

Aussie Life to the Max

Kimberleys

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 2 June 2013 | Views [319]

Spent a few nights in Kununurra resting up. It's our last night in WA Broome to Kununurra was a mixed bag. The western Kimberley's or at least the part we could see was savannah, it was an interesting stop in Fitzroy crossing Geike gorge was a great place to visit and the bar at the Crossing Inn was certainly an eye opener. After traveling east beyond Hall's Creek the Kimberley's got intereating and more like what we expected. Rugged peaks and jumbled rocks amongst the savannah not to mention thousands of termite mounds everywhere. Wyndham was a real frontier town kind of surprising for WA. So far all the towns had been dominated by new and expensive houusing and facilities financed no doubt by the mining boom. Hard to figure after traveling hundreds of kilometers through empty lands with not a house to be seen then entering a small town where the average price of a 600 m2 block costs over 250k.

Kununnurra is a progresive town as well, the spectacular lake Argle dominates the area along with the Ord river. This has the advantage of having a large and reliable water supply, so a lot more agriculture here with plenty of expansion likely in the near future.

Off to Katherine tommorow then on to Darwin, WA has been a great adventure and I need to come back as we have barely scratched the surface. Still just over 4 weeks to go and so much to see I don't know how we will fit all of the things we would like to see in NT in the 2 weeks we have alloted, I expect it will be lots of travel and flying visits in the next fortnight.

Will update hopefully from Darwin where we will upload the pictures from the Kimberley's.

About r_d_touring


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.