Existing Member?

Discovering the roads

Romantic vagabonds

URUGUAY | Friday, 9 May 2014 | Views [85] | Scholarship Entry

Paula and Herman were sitting on the steps next to the bar; he rolled a cigarette, she played the guitar. Those guys knew exactly where I could spend the night in Colonia.
- Hola! Que tal? - We went up to them.
Herman was an artisan, selling homemade earrings. Skinny tattooed guy with a thick beard.
- Where do you stay overnight? - I asked Paula.
- Our friend allowed us to stay at his house. True house without a roof, but it's nothing. You can spend the night with us. Though there is a little chilly, but it's nothing. - Paula was twenty-three years old and she had an incredibly expressive blue eyes and childish look inside. Perhaps because inside she already had a child.The child of Herman. They traveled together.
Herman was from Montevideo, Paula was from Buenos Aires.
He sold his homemade decoration, she played guitar on the streets. < ... >
- It`s time to go home! - Emptying the box he said us.
On the way we stopped at a gas station. They left me for a while.
What the strange night in Uruguay!
What the beautiful night in Uruguay!
- We are travelers as you are. We must help travelers. We have traveled almost hole Latin American continent.- they said me on our road.
Paula was playing the guitar.
We turned into barracks for the railroad.
It was dark. I could just make out the outlines of small makeshift slums, dirt and sand under my feet. The smell of rot and waste, mixing with countless dogs barking in the night silence provoked words inside of my head. Born out of fear of these thoughts down in the legs, making me at the same time tired and excited.
Finally, we went to the sea on a naked coast. Gentle surf calmed me , and the full moon was so bright that I could see again the charm of Paula`s eyes, which reassured me again.
- What a lovely night in Uruguay! - She said , looking up at the starry sky. Keeping on admire the peace and tranquility of the night sea and the moon, the guys brought me a tent and dismantled it on the shore. Wishing me a good night they had gone to them house without a roof, trying to go carefully, so as not to disrupt " the harmony of nature ".

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About quo_vadis_vita


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Uruguay

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.