Existing Member?

For Your Vicariousness

How could I forget Paris?

FRANCE | Thursday, 31 July 2008 | Views [517] | Comments [2]

I guess I should let y'all know where I've been since Pamplona, before I start commenting on my activities... I almost forgot about Paris, then to Münich, Jeni's in Schlammersdorf, around the Czech Republic, to Krakow, Poland for a day, and now I'm in Switzerland, about to leave... that's what, 3 weeks?

Ok, so, like I said, I forgot to mention that Shane and I went to Paris after our tiring adventures during San Fermin. I wasn't even sure I was going with him till we got to Hendaye, and found there was room on the night train (for a not too bad price, too)... So it was that we woke up early in the morning in Paris. We locked our bags up at the train station, and went for a bit of compulsory sight seeing. The line for the Eiffel Tower is MUCH shorter if you get there before it opens. =) But we only went to the second level... we agreed that the top is more of a romantic spot, so better to leave it for a time with significant others.

Then we checked out the Louvre... apparently my hour wandering around the Denon wing (and I still missed the Venus De Milo, bah) was long enough for Shane to check out the Musee D'Orsay and what he wanted to see in the Louvre with time to spare. Look out for the speed tourist!

After that, we looked in on Notre Dame and the Pantheon (the very LARGE church dedicated to St. Geneviéve... no more than I deserve, of course ;) ) before trekking back to the train station to retrieve our bags. From there, the plan was to go to the hotel Shane had booked... sounds easy enough, except that not only was it not where he thought it was, it wasn't even on any map of Paris that we ever got our hands on. Needless to say, that took hours, and a lot of wandering around with big bags on our backs... Shane finally understood why I argued that being able to roll your bag can be nice sometimes. But we did find it, and he was able to get a double room, so I got a nice lovely bed of my own! (You would understand the excitement, after 4 nights of bus, bench, ground, pillows on the floor, and then finally a decent night on the bunk in the train)

After much sleeping (and wishing that we were NOT in France), we ventured out the next day to Versailles. I was feeling cheap, so did not go in, but Shannon had a pass... and, again, managed to go through the entire thing in about 15 minutes... and still notice stuff. Crazy. Apparently I'm artsy because I take longer than him in a museum... I don't even care for most art! Lol.

Upon our return to Paris, we parted ways, so he could check out the Champs Elysee and the Arc de Triomph (which I had to laugh about... the French, with an Arc... and it's due to a Corsican! Lol), and so I could buy my ticket out to Münich the next day.

Well, more on that Münich later... looks like my internet time is up.  Oh, and I will be home on the 20th of August, for those I have not informed... yay, Texas!

Comments

1

Was Speedy Gonzales (Shane)wearing Roller Blades?

  Mum Aug 2, 2008 5:22 AM

2

Yay Texas indeed... still not sure when or if I am going back in August. Also, Genevieve, I'm pretty sure you're not a Saint... unless there's something I missed. ;) When are you coming back by? I WILL HAVE A CAR!

  Jeni Aug 3, 2008 12:54 AM

About queenofbums


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.