Existing Member?

Preparation For South America

Six Months Pre-Trip Preparation

COLOMBIA | Sunday, 17 November 2013 | Views [419]

Since I have not travelled to South America before, I wanted to make sure I had done as much preparation as possible.  I was never vaccinated as a child (that's another journal) and seemed to do quite well all my life, compared to those that were.

However, I decided to listen to the recommendations from my current Doctor and do what she did, booked with a Safeway pharmacy online and did the recommended rabies series (289 each no insurance coverage) and typhoid, yellow fever, malaria pills and Hepetitis A/B and polio.

So, glad I started the process a while ago because it took several weeks to get the rabies series and the others done without overwhelming my system.

I feel great and my thoughts are, if the trip gets cancelled for any reason, I am ready for the zombie apocolypse.  

-------------------------Reasons I am going on a worldvets.org trip in the first place?  A friend asked me to go and now I will volunteer to clean up after the vets and work 12-18 hours day as a volunteer and I paid 1250 to go plus airfare, two trip insurance polices, the shots and anything else I spend now, then and afterwards.  

I love animals and feel like this will provide insights beyond taking care of my own Pomeranian I adopted from our daughter.  I also like this friend enough to let her see me with all my human frailities because if we're still chums at the end of it, I just may go on another trip one day.

Seems like a nice retirement idea, work hard, play hard.  That is how I run my life now so I expect more of same later.

I am grateful to have been accepted into the program and I expect to work hard and be of use to the people of San Andres Island and to help children with some stickers and toys I will be bringing in anticipation of hanging out with them while their animals get checked over.  DH

Tags: preparation six months

 

About qtiptrust


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Colombia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.