Existing Member?

View of the Earth, as it really is.

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Sunday, 15 April 2012 | Views [321] | Scholarship Entry

What is better than letting the taste of local cuisine tingle your taste buds, and make you fall in love with the city of your visit? This was exactly the question I ask myself, when I visit Lahore, one of the unknown jewels of Pakistan.
The amazing fact about this Punjabi Culture is that the taste of food differs with the time of the meal that is dined. A morning meal will come with hand tossed round breads, smothered with Ghee and cooked on a Flat Pan on an open fire. What better accompaniment you would want, then a bowl of Semolina Sweet, and a dripping plate of Chick peas cooked with treasured spices. This is known to be the breakfast dined by the kings, or as they were called the Moguls. The breakfast is made digestible by donning a long icy cold glass of thinned buttermilk, which seemed to have been compressed from sugarcane, based on the amount of sugar that is actually added to it. However, somehow, this melody of spicy and sweet do an exotic dance in your mouth, that one wants to keep chewing on, rather than to swallow. What makes the down-hill ingestion easier is to know, that you have many more bites to eat! But of course, a meal fit for kings cannot end like a PBJ sandwich. Rather, a more traditional approach is to sit on the floor, on a picnic like spread, and enjoy the meal with friends and family, while laughing out your heart’s content. No wonder you will see all locals and visitors flocking to such shops selling the traditional 'Halwa Puri' breakfast jam-packed with buyers from all class and statuses.
The traditional 'Halwa Puri' has now a new competitor; 'Paya'; a traditional syrup soup, which consists of cooking joint bones of lamb for a long time, until the gluten comes apart, combining itself with the aromatic spices of the land. This meal is a new age favorite among all as a breakfast meal, especially in winters. Traditional bread called 'Kulcha' is served hot alongside. One would wonder, what less could be a meal befitting a king's table?

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About qsworld


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.