Existing Member?

What's My 'Q'?

A Missionary's Prayer

DENMARK | Monday, 12 May 2014 | Views [146] | Scholarship Entry

I found myself walking into the Missions Office at my University a week after my fiancé proposed to me. I have no recollection of what inspired me to step foot in there or to ask the director of the office where I could be a missionary. I had made it plain to him that I wouldn’t go out into a third-world country because I knew I was too much of a princess to survive that kind of excursion and he told me about a position in Denmark. The next day, I had all of my paperwork signed along with a $100 deposit.
After my dialogue with the missions’ director I thoroughly laid out my reasons for why this was a good choice for me:
1) Denmark is my ancestors’ homeland. I have always heard great things about it and had strongly desired to visit it, (in fact, out of my top three places to venture to it was my number two).
2) My father was very negative about the engagement and threatened me that if I were to get married I would never get to spend a year in Europe and experience other cultures. In my mind, challenge accepted.
3) It should be made clear that this was NOT under any circumstance running away from my fiancé or getting cold feet. I knew that we were going to get married and before I settled down I wanted to have a once-in-a-lifetime experience that I could never relive once I said my 'I do's.'
4) After graduation I didn't have any confirmed plans with the essentials - no job, no home, etc. This year abroad would give me the opportunity to get my ducks in a row.
5) What a better backdrop to work on my writing craft than to live in and travel Europe.
Those reasons are to name a few. As one could imagine my fiancé was less than thrilled about my sudden impulse. It was nerve-racking waiting for my acceptance to work in Denmark. In fact, I declined an opportunity with Nickelodeon because I was so gung-ho about the position. It wasn’t until the week of graduation that everything was set in stone about my mission.
Two months after graduation, at twenty-two years of age, I was flying halfway across the world with a ukulele and most of my belongings packed into two suitcases, going to a country where English was a second language, I knew nothing about the job I signed eleven months of my life away to, and I knew no one whom I would be working alongside.
The nerves set in, of course, but digressed immediately once the job picked up and I saw that the other eight volunteers were no different than I – young, alone, and ready to serve.
Best decision I ever made.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About qniquelywriting


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Denmark

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.