Existing Member?

Frogger Goes To CR

The Volunteer Quarter

COSTA RICA | Friday, 24 October 2008 | Views [408]

The volunteer quarter makes me feel like a chicken kept in a chicken cage.  While there are actual walls defining each room, there are no fully enclosed walls separating the inside from the outside.  The wall-like barriers are roughly three feet tall, with bamboo sticks tall enough to reach the ceiling to fill the void every 8 to 12 inches or so.  I later learned that the bamboo sticks were an after thought. The word on the trail is that the Nicaraguan day laborers come to CR to do the jobs that the locals don’t want to do (ie construction) and are often accused of stealing stuff in and around neighborhood.  Apparently, the volunteer quarter experienced some theft in the past, hence the attempt to enclose the quarter.  The pitched roof and overhang were also made from bamboo sticks.  The space, as far as I could see, was full of lines made from bamboo sticks and I couldn’t help but feel trapped in a cage.

A creek meanders behind the volunteer quarter, right next to my “window.”  The melodic sound of water flows downstream without ever missing a beat.  Idyllic as it may seem, I was weary of the mossy situation.  When I approached the bed with some sheets after being shown this as my space, I noticed trails of ants and tiny spiders were busying themselves on the mattress to who knows where.  With a big sigh, I brushed them off as much as I could and hoped for the possibility of not getting eaten alive.  Hung above the bed was an old mosquito net, so old and worn that it had big holes in them.  At least I came prepared…so I thought.  I slide the old one aside and set up my own.  I came to find out that night that sleeping in a mosquito net diminishes air flow and could be somewhat suffocating.   

About pwu


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.