Existing Member?

Not All Who Wander Are Lost...But I Usually Am "Only he that has traveled the road knows where the holes are deep”-Chinese Proverb

Santa Ana and la Playa Blanca

COLOMBIA | Thursday, 11 June 2009 | Views [1399]

Yesterday was the conclusion of the microcredit summit, it consisted of a discussion of the future of microfinance with the former president of Peru Alejando Toledo, Professor Yunus and Sam Daley-Harris. Its so awesome to watch those who are at the forefront of this new field discuss the possibilities for its growth. I don't leave until Friday so I had all of today off. During the summit I met some fellow Americans who are just a couple years older than myself and are in a program called World Teach. They are the first to enter into the World Teach Colombia program and are working in a village outside of Cartagena. I woke up early this morning to visit where they live/work as well as go to la playa blanca (an incredible beach close to the village). Getting to the village was just as exciting as being there. We took a taxi to a town called Pascaballos where we got onto a canoe to cross the water to the island of Santa Ana. When the canoe got to the port we got onto the back of dirt bikes and took motorcycle taxis to the school. The school was incredible. The kids had so much energy. They are proud of the music that their island is known for called Champeta which is a mix of rap/reggae/african and Colombian beats. When we got there we became a part of their English lesson because the teachers offered extra credit for those that could carry on a conversation with us. After class we got back onto the taxis to go to la playa blanca. It is a white sandy beach where we went snokeling, ate fresh pescado and my new favorite food platacones which is flattened and fried plantains, as well as took a siesta in some hammocks next to the water. The day was so incredibly relaxing and such an eye opener to both the diverse people of Colombia and the huge contrast in urban and rural poverty.
el clase

el clase

About pwalton


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Colombia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.