Existing Member?

Write on Travel!

Catching a Moment - Dancing with the Greenback Gods

USA | Thursday, 14 February 2013 | Views [437] | Scholarship Entry

It was early Christmas morning in Maui and I was on my own, with no presents to open and several event free hours to spare. I knew I would be meeting friends for an early dinner but at that moment I was feeling more then a bit lonely, so I grabbed my rental flippers and snorkel, and shuffled over to the local cove. Down on the beach not a person was in sight, I had the bay to myself. I donned my gear and waded into the tempid water, which was teaming with laughter the day before, but which now was a silent haven. I wasn’t the most adventurous swimmer as I’ve always hated having my face under water, but the promised protection of the rubber and plastic mask and life supporting tube jutting out at the top to gather air, gave me the courage to hover near the surface. One hundred meters out I plunged my face into the crystal clear waters and just floated. The light streamed through the water like the fingers of Helios touching everything I could see, making it all seem so surreal, so magical. I forgot all my previous self pitying concerns and allowed myself to enjoy nature's canvas. I was in heaven. From my stern I sensed something swimming towards me. It wasn’t a school of fish or a group of snorkelers as I had become accustomed to at these beaches, it was much larger, more amphibious. It swooped below me into the darker blue waters then skirted past me from behind. I caught a glimpse of it as it scooted past again and then I finally saw what it was. It was a seven foot giant greenback turtle! Anxiety gripped me. The first thought that screamed in my head was as the turtle swam a few feet from me and hovered was, “Do turtles eat meat?” It was a struggle not to panic as he circled me again and again. I was on his turf and there was no way I could out swim him, if he wanted to take a nibble out of me he would, and there was nothing I could do about it. Just as I began to relax and give in to my fate, another giant appeared. Then another and another! Soon I was surrounded by a half a dozen magnificent greenbacks and although I should have been frozen with terror, I wasn’t, I was frozen in awe. They danced around the cove in beautiful pirouettes, exhibiting none of the weighted down awkwardness they exhibited on dry land. I let go of my trepidation and opened my heart to this awesome moment. I was swimming with the god’s of the watery world below me, an experience that I may never be blessed with again in my lifetime, and at that moment I knew I wasn’t alone.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About prmontgomery

Monteverde Costa Rica

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.