Existing Member?

Priya's Eastern Odyssey Some travelling before real work starts!

Fighting the Delhi Belly

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 9 November 2009 | Views [544]

Nov 6th

So it turns out that NO-ONE on the train (my hosts) touched the paneer given to us on the train for dinner. EXCEPT ME! I ate the whole damn thing and deeply regretted it tht night. I wont go into the details but let me tell you it was HORRIFIC. the next day was a right off. I paid the doctor a visit that night and he said i had an acute stomach infection and prescribed some antibiotics. It was an early night for me.

Nov 7th

Back to the beauty parlour for a hairwash- i was being spoiled before i was to become a nomad again on monday! I then met up with a uni friend who lives in DElhi for lunch. it was nice and v luxurious. we indulged in good food and great company at the oberoi in delhi.

I then headed to Santushti- a community project headed by the Indian army generals of india's wive association. It is an open air shopping complex which aims to support local women;s businesses but in practice is home to very expensive and fashionable shops- more a place for the high-middle class houswives to be seen and have coffee. i followed suit and we browsed and had a coffee and wonderful tiramisu.

We then headed home for dinner and to get ready for a roof terrace birthday party of shivani's friend who had warmly extended an invitation to me. I got bitten like crazy but ate amazing food and drank a great mojito or two. Considering the age gap between myself and the other guests, they were so welcoming and we had a great night chatting and laughing till the early hours of the morning.

Sun Nov 8th- lazy day

Went to DILLI HAAT in the afternoon- another cooperative run by the govt. association for artisans of India. Here vendors gather to display their wares from all parts of India (mostly North) in one large open air compound. We strolled around- it was very busy being a Sunday- many locals were out for the day. I rememebr coming ehre 10 yr back when it was much quieter and far more enjoyable.

We left very soon after making one purchase (it had to be done!) and headed for lunch at a friend of a friend's restuarant. Once our bellies were full, we wrapped up and headed to the red fort (lal quila) for the evenin light and sound show. This was the first touristy thing i'd done in Delhi- in preparation for my tour which started tthe next day. It was great fun and outdoor. the story was well narrated and history of Delhi and the mughal empire which gave rise to much of Delhi and India's artichecture was well explained. The fort, moti mahal and the surrounding gardens were beauitfully lit also. My pictures are a must see!

However, I was shattered by the end of that. We went home for a light South Indian meal of dosas and watched a film in bed.

About priyachande


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.