Existing Member?

Priya's Eastern Odyssey Some travelling before real work starts!

Rain rain go away, come again another day

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 20 September 2009 | Views [552] | Comments [4]

Right so it's been a couple of days since I updated you. My sister did email me ever so appreciatively the other day pre-empting the fact that I wouldn't be able to keep this blog malarky up everyday "yeh right like you'll be bothered to write everyday man" and she would be right. Note that down Mali- the only time you'll EVER win an argument!

Anyway, sibling banter aside, apologies for my lack of updates. I've heard some positive responses regarding my blogs/rambles and so the pressure's on to top what i last wrote. Sadly, the prison story doesnt look like it's going to be beaten in a while. I've made a whole load of friends in Singapore and the story has slowly made it's way around the social scene. However, as with the game chinese whispers which I'm sure you're all familiar with, it now goes something along the lines of "oh yeah that's that priya girl from london who got handcuffed and taken to Changi prison right"!!!!

Also, im afraid to say, my religious escapades may have been shortlived. Can you believe it i've not been to a temple today!?! SHOCK HORROR. In my defence, the last few days have been pretty wierd. I've been in a limbo as to whether to bother visiting KL (Kuala Lumpur) or not. Since being here, a LOT of people have had bad things to say about it and that threw me. Most facets of KL life were slated- poor sanitation, dirty, dangerous- you name it. Another guy said to me today that during Eid (this weekend just my luck) they prey on foreigners because they have no money left after celebrations ?!?!? Wierd justification for it being dangerous but enough to scare me. Anyway, me being me, I worked myself up about it last night. I shedded a tear and had no clue what to do. I was in a limbo- a part of me wanted to move on, keep up my momentum, and another part of me was too scared to leave. Anyway, a wise man called me last night and calmed me down. So i closed my eyes and left it till the morning to decide what to do.

In typical chande fashion, i woke up at midday (this habit WILL be kicked by the end of this trip i promise!) and was in no position to leave for KL today. So i got ready and headed off to the Singapore Art Museum. It was really really nice to be in a serene and calming environment, albeit surrounded by some wierd so-called "art". But it was nice for another reason. That being that in the short while that i've been here, I've noticed that Singapore is distinctly lacking in a culture of it's own. Firstly, it has a HUGE expat population which has brought with it a lot of glitz, glamour and general shit in my opinion. Secondly, it seems to be the melting pot of SE ASia with a lot of Malay, Indonesian, Thai, Chinese culture but not really one of it's own. As a result of that the SIngaporean government have made really big efforts in the last decade or so to create or inject some culture into their lives. Art has therefore been introduced as a compulsory subject for many children at school, whether that be music, drama, painting etc. There is a huge construction project going on in the CBD at the moment for the "school of arts" and it looks to be truly phenomenal. Now, back to this art museum, there happened to be an exhibit there showcasing the work of the children at a local art school. the artists themselves - 15 yr old girls!- were our tour guides (all of 3 visitors) and excitedly yapped away about their works, influences, techniques etc. Admittedly, it was hard at times to understand all of what they were saying, it was really easy-going and enjoyable. Their exhuberance and motivation was really inspirational. they took real pride in their work. There was another fascinating exhibit called the "yellow ribbon project" which showcased the work of ex-convicts and prisoners (gosh prison seems to be a recurring theme to my blog doesnt it?!?!) who are encouraged to unleash their creative side in order to pacify themselves and rehabilitate their lives. Some of the works were really moving and damn good for a bunch of people most would right off as being neanderthals. Credit where it's due- it was impressive stuff! I guess you guys had to see it to appreciate it but hey im trying my hardest to trasnport you there through my words.

So that was the start to my day. By the time i was done at the museum, my friend was free to meet and so we headed to the famous Raffles hotel for "high tea" except we missed it. To be honest, it didnt' look like we missed out on much. It was ridiculously overpriced and I saved my money for a HUGE dinner at the end of the day. Before I go into that, back to Raffles for a second. For any of you going to Singapore, you must visit this institution. Yes, it is just another one of those stamps of the colonial past but it's a fine building at that. There's a quaint museum located on the 3rd floor and a couple of cute delis/shops that you can potter around in.

I'd had a nice relaxing day thus far and got home where i made my decision about my onward journey. I'd had some headspace and came to the conclusion that I gotta man up and go to KL. I initially wanted to go there and just because somebody else says it's shit, it doesnt mean i wont like it. even if it is, i want to come to that conclusion  myself. If it is dangerous well then i've got to be extra vigilant and all my prayers  to the protector will come in handy im sure ;). One thing you got to remember is for the Singaporeans, nothing comes close to their city in terms of safety, cleanliness and efficiency but as anyone that's travelled to India/Southall at least will know, life aint like that everywhere. This whole trip is about seeing the world and the different aspects of it, good and bad, clean and dirty. I can do this :)

Ok motivational speech over, to round off my day I went for dinner at the most popular and largest hawker centre where all the locals flock to. it's called Newton circus and was crazy! My host insisted i try local produce which I was bit reluctant to- i.e. cockles and other wierd sea food but in the end we ordered tonnes and tonnes of dirt cheap food and ate like kings. We had Tiger prawns, stingray, veggies, noodles, satay, and a south indian stuffed paratha. Gosh if i could have doggy-bagged it and sent it home I would have. An explosion of flavours and loads of chilli- my stomach now feels it!

From there we headed to some new friends' flat nearby and got ready for night on the town. They're really nice girls, all working in fantastic jobs and doing well for themselves, some LSE almuni too (we're everywhere!) and just generally very welcoming. I had hung back, had some drinks in there beautiful apartment while my friend went to an "arsenal pub" to watch the football- you can take the boy out of London, but you can't take the London out the boy (even though he's Australian!?!?). We all met up again in Clarke Quay (i mentioned it last blog) at a seedy expat joint for some drinks and my last night out. The place itself was one of the better ones ive been to (less hookers and thai brides) but nothing to write home about. What was great was the company. I've made some great friends here and would love to return to visit them. Singapore, despite my lull yday, has got a big fat tick on my list. I could see myself positioned here at some point in the future. A welcoming city with lovely people and a comparatively easy life.

Next stop, KL. We'll see if im so positive about that but mentally im being optimistic. Every place is different and im sure it'll have it's own perosnal charm, i might just have to look a little harder for it! Once i'm there i'll let you all know! For now, goodnight

Px

 

Comments

1

hey P, really fascinating to read about your experiences. Lovely and most enjoyable reading and long may the epic continue-now that Mali has got you all worked up about it! But,seriously dont pressurise yourself too much about living up to it. You're on holiday after all. Also good thinking on your part to conclude that KL is worth a visit. Best to draw your own conclusions about evrything in life. Our prayers and thoughts are with you, darling. You'll be absolutely fine. As i say often, after London all these places are a walk in the park in terms of scares and and crime, etc. Longing to read the next episode when you can. Lots of love. MAC/LMC/MMC

  MAC Sep 20, 2009 8:48 PM

2

have no internet in my house so only just got a chance to read all this but all sounds amazing! very proud of u bindu! missing you lots and lots and lots but promise ill email u properly when i get internet sorted in the crib! give me a text/call when u can xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  mal Sep 21, 2009 11:57 PM

3

Newton Circus!!! literally can see that from my mum's old block :) aww missy good on u for going to KL!! love u xxxxx

  jeneen Sep 22, 2009 4:33 AM

4

you gotta go to KL, hope you made it there! it's a great place, i love it. so diverse with so much going on, plus youve got the towers to see and good shopping too! just get the bus or train from spore to there, really easy and you can go within the day. malaysia is a great country!

just got back from borneo and bali at this end, shattered but had a great time. enjoy your travels, you'll have a great time. oh and no more midday starts missy!! xxx

  nina Sep 29, 2009 8:01 AM

About priyachande


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.