Existing Member?

Julie & Joe's Travels

Stomach Parasites and National Bus Strikes in Esteli, Nicaragua

NICARAGUA | Saturday, 17 May 2008 | Views [1545] | Comments [1]

So our quick stopover in Esteli, Nica turned out to be a week and a half adventure... more I think, but my concept of dates is off like 3-week old bread.

After our very educational experience at our Spanish school, Los Pipitos, we were pumped and ready to head to Leon; a city of history, culture and art. NOT. Sorry kids, you are not going anywhere because there is a national bus strike.  Yes. Ok, no biggie, we can wait another day, even 2 if necessary.  How about 5?  But how lucky were our 5 days extra, you ask?

Well,I, Julie, came down with some strange stomach parasite thing-a-ma-jig.  For days I sat in agony as some nasty little parasite made its way through my bowls.  A good overdose on Guava syrup cleared that shit right up, no worries.  However, I spent many nights awake and running to the toilet cursing my parasite and making it know it was never welcome in my temple again.  I think the cursing and constant Guava syrup and tea kicked its ass. Tip, there is none because there is no way to figure out what gave it to you.

Anyhoo, we made good friends with our homestay "brother," JuanCarlos.  Mnay nights were spent with JuanCarlos in front of the tele watching the History Channel and the News (Noticias). 

After the 3rd day of bus striking, Joe and I just could not wander the streets of Esteli anymore, aimlessly walking into cafe's merely for something to do.  JuanCarlos being the great man that he is, offered to drive us to Granada, about 2 hours south of Esteli.

Mama Dominga, as we called her, took great care of us while we stayed in her home.  She cooked us fantastic meals and told us all about her way too interesing family.  One of her sons was killed in the revolution, her daughter is like the head chief of the National Police force in Nica, families in the States, and super ambitious, super intelligent JuanCarlos.  Una familia rica. 

Oh, not being relevant to anything, Joe and I have become obsessed wit the series "House," or as they call it in Spanish, "Dr House."  Love it.

So after so many days in Esteli, we finally set off this morning for Granada.  The bus strike has taken a huge toll on the economy and on the highways clusters of people walk alongside hoping for a lift.  Near Managua, the capital, lines and lines of buses are parked on the roads and the drivers are standing with hats facing upwards hoping for a bit of money.  Very sad situation.  People cannot conduct business because 90% of the population relies on public transport.

Basically the bus drivers want the government to make a fixed gas price, which of course, is not even possible.  A huge political  mess, to say the least.

Granada is absolutely amazing.  Another entry will be wriiten in its honor.  Granada is stimulating visually, culturally, artistically, among many others.

Ciao for now!

 

Comments

1

friends.... everything sounds absolutely phenomenal... but i miss u... wish i was there to experience it all with you

  Stavroula May 25, 2008 4:46 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Nicaragua

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.