Existing Member?

Travel Bits&Pieces "The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page" St. Augustine

Cairns and beyond

PAPUA NEW GUINEA | Thursday, 22 January 2009 | Views [341]

It was hot, it was humid but Cairns is a great spot. Be prepared though that with 95 percent humidity you will never have a good hair day!!

There was much to enjoy about Cairns - the beautiful Great Barrier Reef and the fun of snorkelling. The scenic train ride to Kuranda and the hippy-do market. Lots of yum restaurants, the night market and heaps of souvenir shops - all in all a tourists dream really!!

But be warned under that seemingly quiet and calm tourist destination lie many unsuspecting perils all of which occurred while I was there!!!!

I list a few:

Cyclone Charlotte and its monsoonal rain which hit Cairns on Jan 12th dumping 255.6mm water in just a few hours.

The king tide which followed,creating major flooding in Cairns and surrounds.

The dengue fever epidemic which has affected more than 170 people and is predicted to be the worst outbreak in decades.

And last but by no means least the nasty stinging box jelly fish in the waters of the Great Barrier Reef causing one to don a rather fetching blue full body snorkelling costume before hitting the waters!!

But you know while you’re on holidays everything seems fabulous and not even the threat of a cyclone stops you having fun!! As a precaution though remember to remove all trajectory items from your balcony first!!!

After Cairns the next stop was Mildura for a very short while and the experience of 42 degree heat. Ah well at least the heat was dry and the hair didn't look too bad and there's always the comfort of air-conditioning!!

And now it's back to work and of course to planning the next break!!

 

About princess_of_the_tropics


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Papua New Guinea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.