Existing Member?

Travel Bits&Pieces "The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page" St. Augustine

Gutpela Holide - Good Holiday

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 30 December 2008 | Views [360]

Happy New Year everyone!

Life in PNG is hot, humid and wonderfully relaxing. It's a country of many contrasts. There is great poverty but also much natural beauty. Within 5 minutes of leaving the town centre gorgeous scenery emerges from sea to hills. All the locals we have met have been very friendly and really welcoming. I feel quite safe walking around but Jen insists we take no cash or valuables with us on our outings and we never go out alone. There have been a number of car jackings recently so we are always vigilant and never have the car doors unlocked.

There are many roadside stalls set up by locals selling beetlenut(the local drug of choice)which is chewed and spat out. It leaves a red stain on the teeth and lips - needless to say have yet to try it!!

Our days have been filled with sightseeing, eating, swimming, and much relaxing. We've eaten at some lovely places from The Aviat (RSL style club) to the Royal Papua Yacht Club with its beautiful view of the waters and islands. The Commodore was not in but have been told he's an aussie ex-pat around 7 foot tall and absolutley huge!!! He sounds a bit scary!!!

Trips to the supermarket have been hilarious especially on Christmas Eve where we found it was busier than the Myer Window viewings at Christmas time. The crush and queues were amazing although the shelves were very well stocked. It's just as well we are on holidays with no particular place to go and in no rush. It took almost an hour to get to the register!!!

Christmas Day began with 7:30am mass at St. Mary's Cathedral. It was a lovely service attended by a mix of locals and ex-pats. After mass it was off home for Wayne's pancakes and exchanging of gifts. Lunch was a glamorous affair at Bacchus within the Airways complex and is owned by Pappa George a Greek ex-pat who with his family has lived in PNG for over 5o years. He's provided many job opportunities for local people as well as putting money into youth projects and local sports. Sadly he was murdered by a group of raskals on the outskirts of Port Moresby just before we arrived in PNG. The raskals were promptly "hunted down" by police and apparently it's a miracle that they made it to prison alive as the local community was extremely outraged by the murder. The newspaper reports there will be a day of mourning for him and a public holiday has been pronounced.

On Boxing Day Dad, Jen & Wayne set out for a spot of sea fishing while Mum & I stayed back and made doughnuts PNG style and then hit the pool & spa in the early afternoon . The fishing party reported a calm sea, warm sun but unfortunately no fish so it was ham for dinner!!!

Our sightseeing has taken us from The National Museum full of wonderful artefacts to a drive past the National Library & Archives (unfortunately closed for the holidays.) A highlight was a trip last Sunday to Fisherman's Island (Fishos to the locals) for a picnic and day of fun and swimming. Together with our very excellent crew of Petu, Matthew and Tom we set out for a 1 1/2 hour journey from the yacht club. It was a beautiful still day and we passed a number of small islands and Koki Village on stilts. We enjoyed a beautiful sandy beach and 26 degree, clear water which was just glorious for smimming and snorkelling.

Oh I think it must be G&T o'clock and time for a swim.....

About princess_of_the_tropics


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.