Existing Member?

"Peyek Jangkrik"

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [122] | Scholarship Entry

There are the other unique culinary in Indonesia. When foreign come to Indonesia. Many of them think that Indonesia only consist of Bali and Lombok. But, they all are going wrong, Indonesia consist of so many places that have the potential for attract foreign tourist. Indonesia has different culture, art, resources, and food. It is caused of it has so many provinces which separated among the islands. And we have so many unique side of cuisine here, for example is a Cricket. What do you think when you heard an animal named Cricket? I’m sure you would immediately think, that cricket is an animal that often come out at night when the wet season come and can make some melodic sound which can make us feel so cozy. But, do you know that crickets can also be eaten?. In Indonesia, Cricket is called “Jangkrik”. “Jangkrik” can be also side dish to eat. Many people don’t know about this one dish. But, when you have a chance to come to one of Province called Riau, Sumatra. So, many version of dish made of cricket, the famous one is, “Peyek Jangkrik”. What is “Peyek Jangkrik”? “Peyek Jangkrik” is a snack dough made from a mixture of rice flour, coconut milk, lime leaves, and other kitchen materials, and then fried in hot oil. Many people don’t think if “Jangkrik” can be used to be a food. But, in fact “Jangkrik” contains so many proteins more than beef, chicken, and even a shrimp. “Peyek Jangkrik” was first discovered by Mrs. Sri Rahayu who is a retired. She has followed a training cultivation of animal named cricket, in 1998. Because, in those year “Jangkrik” is booming. After the training, Sri Rahayu started make a "crazy idea" to create a basic ingredient of processed foods by "cricket".When compared with other”Peyek”, as I have said that "Peyek Jangkrik" is much healthier than other “Peyek” in Indonesia. At this age "Peyek Jangkrik" was introduced in Indonesia, and it is possible that these foods will be disseminated in the world.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About priesa


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.