Existing Member?

I was here.

A Local Encounter that Changed my Perspective - The one that got away

ANTARCTICA | Monday, 18 February 2013 | Views [6161] | Comments [17] | Scholarship Entry

She was the first one I saw.
Donned in a skin tight classic black and white suit, she stood out from the vast whiteness around. There was desolation in her eyes and despite not understanding her language, I could sense longing and despair in her words. She sat there, perched high on the rockeries; alone in the crowd, purposeless and forsaken. She opened her mouth but no words came out. Only cries that were drowned out by the hustle and bustle of the city around her.
“Her baby was taken away! There he took it! ”. All eyes focused on the culprit and in a flash he was gone …
Silence ensued. A group of us looked at each other, guilty that we were hapless.
In the medical profession, they taught me that there is always something you could do. As Hippocrates said “cure sometimes, treat often, comfort always”. But here I was, completely at a loss.
“She’ll have another one next year” someone from the back exclaimed.
I shot her a disgusted look as the word “irreplaceable” resonated through my head sung like how Beyoncé would.
But my biologist was right! In this ice-cold continent of Antarctica, where penguins are one too many, at least she will live to breed another day.
What I found disturbing was that her neighbors simply labored on unfazed, as though nothing had happened. No consolation. No sympathy. Some males even capitalized on this opportunity to steal stones from her nest.
“Such animals!”, only to realize the literal truth.
“The killer is back!”
Heads turned as we focused on the skua, which was black as death. With malicious intent in his eyes, he went for the kill.
Expecting the worst, we were shocked when the entire rockery of penguins banded together, heads held high, jugular veins distended, eyes filled with vengeance and beaks opened and shrieking in unison. The cacophony of it all was a commendable attempt to frighten off the lone crusader.
And it was successful.
With relief and my faith in the penguin community restored, I got up to leave as they no longer needed a watchdog.
“Bam!’ I had slipped and landed on my back. Penguins around me screeched and beat their wings as if in ecstatic mockery of my clumsiness.
I sniggered to myself in realization that we really aren’t that different after all.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

Comments

1

Love the way this was written - a twist worked into in an already short story. Bravo!

  Sen Apr 16, 2013 3:50 AM

2

witty and charming!

  qz Apr 16, 2013 5:03 AM

3

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4451504484057&l=e400a30318 ;proof that penguins do band together against a common enemy!

  Samuel Choudhury Apr 16, 2013 12:44 PM

4

hahaha! cool story! very entertaining! :)

  fan Apr 16, 2013 9:38 PM

5

heartwarming truth: unity is strength

  ivy Apr 19, 2013 1:48 AM

6

hahaha.. blood is definately thicker than water..

  helen Apr 20, 2013 9:52 AM

7

The true-life encounter was impressively crated and succinctly written.

  ray Apr 20, 2013 11:39 AM

8

i felt like i have lived through a fusion of feelings of empathy, sympathy and sadism through your encounter with the penguins.. an artfully well-written brilliant story!!

  may Apr 20, 2013 11:46 AM

9

An animated encounter that brought out the hard truth: human is not the epitome of animal.. no diff after all.. hahahaha.. look forward to more stories from you on your travel..

  eddy Apr 20, 2013 2:06 PM

10

I could relate to the lack of empathy in your encounter.. most of the time held back cause nothing positive can be done for only time will heal...so so sad for the mother penguin..

  nat Apr 20, 2013 2:21 PM

11

sorry.. spell error.. should read.. impressively crafted not crated.. believed you must be well-travelled.. look forward to more of your encounter.. thanks for sharing.

  ray Apr 20, 2013 2:25 PM

12

humanity vs animanity???? hahaha.. no diff huh?? we also animal, not so superior afterall....

  jas Apr 21, 2013 11:17 PM

13

thank you all for your kind comments ! I'm glad that you enjoyed the story.

  Samuel Choudhury Apr 22, 2013 7:39 AM

14

being an animal lover myself... many could have been in similiar scene but not relate to same feelings... glad u did..:))))))

  carol Apr 22, 2013 12:17 PM

15

indeed a compelling read on your humbling encounter.. right place at the right time...so lucky you!

  jia Apr 22, 2013 2:15 PM

16

aha.. so want to grip the authentic rope of WorldNormads..and bring the next phase of your travel to greater heights... u have been to all seven continents but i guess u want more details n purpose...perhaps put your Mandarin to good use n learn new skills on photography.. so excited for you..may we continue to see and read more details through your unselfish sharing n witty comment.. best of luck.. just remember to keep safe..

  med Apr 23, 2013 2:18 PM

17

hey.. wandering doc.. havent seen enough.. cambodia, thailand, india, south america.. not challenging?? hope u continue to make new discoveries with your observant eyes.. all the best

  sin Apr 26, 2013 6:44 PM

About pravidence


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Antarctica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.