Existing Member?

as i walk by

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [167] | Scholarship Entry

Newar clearly boasts that they can prepare 100 different delicacies out of one water buffalo. This rings true if you make an attempt to taste the Newari dishes. Their traditional buffet lasts as long as 3-4 hours with its minimum 3-course meal plans where variety of vegetables, beans, meat including fish, and sweets are served methodically. These items are to be eaten with the beaten rice (commonly called beaten rice for the non-nepalese). For the drinks there is home brewed liquor called aila.   Brahmins brandished as the “stingy ones”  were to live off the alms paid to them by their clients are found to prepare food like selroti, anarsha in oil while other ethnic groups like Rai, Limbu, Thakali would prepare these sweets mostly in ghee.      Rais are not far behind in practising the economic aspect.  This community offers the sacrifice of no other animals but roosters and hens in their sacred ritual practices.  However, when these rituals are to be followed by the feast for the outsiders other than the family members, it is not the rooster or the hens that are cooked.  That will be kept for the immediate family. Meat items of pork will be served to the larger scale of invitees.  This practice has perhaps been devised after the comparison of the costs of chicken meat versus pork meats and the proportions.    Then there is popular culture of young people naming pizza, spaghetti, burgers, sandwiches, french fries as their favourite food for the "cool" factor.  Kentucky Fried Chicken 3 years ago had the customers queue for days. A small eatery in Pokhara, Nepal called Duna Tapari has people coming to eat fish there mostly because they don't want to be excluded from the group who has eaten in Duna Tapari.    Therefore, the food culture of Nepali society if studied will show an interesting array of socio-economic-cultural aspects of the country.  Our food habit awaits to be explored!

Tags: travel writing scholarship 2012

About pranika


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.