Existing Member?

The Adventures of Paula

Going Out in LA

USA | Friday, 13 July 2012 | Views [592]

            When I moved away from my small town home in rural North Carolina to pursue big dreams in the City of Angels, my Bible Belt friends disdainfully wished me luck as I went on my merry way to the land of drive-by shootings, increasingly liberal views, and the Kardashian sisters. Now, after about four years of living in the city, my friends have grown curious about the sinfully glamorous metropolis, asking me – “What’s it like to party in LA?” This is what I have to tell them…

            Going out in LA isn’t all about taking shots of Patron in the back of a limo on your way to one of the newest clubs in LA. It’s not about freezing in your tiny dress while pretending to flirt with the unfortunate looking bouncer who then gives you the nod and unclasps that velvet rope leading to the VIP section of the club. It’s not about darting past him and his creepy stare to sneak over to the table that’s popping bottles of Dom, then stumbling over your stilettos in an attempt to do your sexy bathroom mirror dance atop the slick red leather couches. Wait, who am I kidding? Going out in LA is totally about that, especially at Supperclub one of LA’s hottest and most exclusive spots. But if that’s not your scene, no worries, head to Downtown.

Downtown might not be crawling with celebrities or coked out models but it’s a guaranteed shit-show. You can throw back a couple pickleback shots while screaming at the “Bodacious Tata’s” team because they narrowly beat you for the third night in a row at Casey’s Irish Pub trivia. Or if trivia’s not your style, there’s always the ping-pong table in the patio. This is clearly the perfect activity for drunken patrons who repeatedly miss the ball, which then flies past them and right into the back of someone else’s neck. 

 If you can’t keep up with the whiskey drinkers you’re more than welcome to try your luck at the hipster venues in Santa Monica. For example, the Basement Tavern is rife with flannel and Ray-Bans. Here you can grab a mojito and sit in a cloud of smoke while your new hipster friends puff away and talk about film noir. Make it into a drinking game and take a shot every time they mention a band or film you don’t know and maybe you’ll all end up half naked in the Pacific Ocean. Whichever scene you choose, there’s always an awesome night out awaiting you in LA. 

Tags: bars, clubs, la, la clubs, los angeles, partying

About ppena


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.