Existing Member?

'I Go to Seek a Great Perhaps'

Roller Disco and my last nights in San Jose

COSTA RICA | Friday, 23 April 2010 | Views [352]

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

    The roller disco turned out to be an awesome idea.  Myself, Kira, Vicki, Lisa, Max, Florian, Julia, and two other German girls went and had a blast.  They only had roller skates, not blades, so trying to stop was fun for everyone...  Roller skating with a great amount of people when you don't speak the same language as the guy on the intercom can be dangerous.  Apparently there's a game where when this guy blows his whistle everyone switches the direction of skating.  We did not know this.  So we here we are, 6+ people holding hands and skating when suddenly everyone is skating at us. Now, all of us are/were students at the Costa Rican Language Academy and are therefore at least proficient with the language.  However, people speak Spanish muy muy rapido.  Entonces, people who are learning can't decipher enough words to start to comprehend.  Sad times.

 

    After skating we walked around the bar streets, nothing seemed inviting so we ended up in a pizza place.  Spanish food is my least favorite culture foodwise but since I am in Costa Rica I've been avoiding any other kinds of food and American snacks whilst at the supermarcado.  Pero, when we end up in a pizzaria it would be rude not to share a pizza.  So it doesn't count.  Good pizza, it was.

 

    When we finished eating Julia, the two other German girls, and Lisa had to leave.  Max, Florian, Kira, Vicki, and I still wanted to hang out but not a one of the bars did we want to enter.  It wasn't a night for the bar scene.  So, Mom and Pop should be proud, we we're teenage hooligans instead.  We went to the store, bought some beers, found a nice graffiti wall on an empty street and set up camp for a few hours.  It was actually quite fun and probably one of our best nights.  It was also our last night together :-(  It's funny, I've spent the past week and a half kind of hating San Jose and now, when I've finally gotten acclimated and stopped caring about the fact that my homestay sucked and found a good group of friends, it's a bit sad to be leaving.  But not sad enough to actually waste time being sad.  It's mostly just the people I'll miss.

 

    Saturday I went on a 3 part tour to Irazu Volcano, Orosi Valley, and Lankaster Gardens.  I had a pretty good time.  No one else from the school went, it was just me, a traveling couple, and a russian mother and daughter.  Irazu volcano was rainy but we got there when the rain started so the clouds hadn't covered everything yet.  The "what to bring" list mentioned a sweater but I figured I wouldn't need one and that my waterproof coat would be fine.  I was wrong.  The waterproof jacket was nice and helpful but it was friggin' cold up there!  On the way to Lankaster Gardens we stopped by the most famous Catholic Church in Costa Rica.  It was pretty...  The gardens were very pretty.  I got made fun of by the people on the tour because I had 3 cameras with me.  But they all do different things!  One is waterproof so I can take pictures when it's raining, my SLR 'cuz it's the shit, and my other one because my SLR doesn't have a macro lens.  After the garden we went to lunch at a nice restaurant in the Orosi Valley.  The view was breathtakingly gorgeous.  I will definately post pictures from that.

 

    I got back to San Jose pretty early, around 5.  I still had to pack some stuff but I wanted to see if Max and Kira wanted to hang out that night.  Vicki didn't get back until around 1am.  Since we are all foreigners in this country we don't have cell phones and Kira is the only one with internet access at home and we can't really use the host family phones.  So I posted on both of their Facebook walls that I was gonna be at the mall at 7 and I hoped someone would meet me there.  Kira did.  She had to babysit for an hour though so we went to her place.  It is really nice.  In the "richer" part of town in a gated community with a guard.  Her host mom works in the Embassy.  The English Embassy I think, even thought she's Finnish and living in Costa Rica.  She's extremely nice.

 

    Max and Florian had gone to see a movie and we met up with them afterwards.  We started out at Bar Rio but it was way too crowded.  None of us had been in San Jose on a Saturday night before and we were not liking it.  We ended up at what we thought was just a bar with a patio but it had a room full of pool tables!  So for 2 hours we played pool and had a nice time before heading home. 

 

    My volunteer work ends the Saturday after next so I will come back to San Jose that day.  I'm going to try to make it into town at a reasonable time because we think that is Max and Florian's last night in town and Kira will be there and Vicki might be there as well since we both come back to Naomi's for that night before we go to the airport Sunday.  Her to catch a plane back to Manchester and I to pick up David, which is very exciting.  Anyway, it has the potential to be a nice reunion night :-)

About potter42


Follow Me

Where I've been

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Costa Rica

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.