Existing Member?

In the travel essay, I have attached, I have viewed the world from the eyes of single women in rura

My Scholarship entry - Seeing the world through other eyes

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [141] | Scholarship Entry

"Life is all about encounters; be it with the misery, pain or joy ",
65 years old Indra Maya Kyapchhaki, denizen of the Madhubasha VDC in Dhanusha district of Nepal turned philosophic. The shining of the sandstone dusk and sweet oozing from her forehead was more than enough for me to know she is just from Churia hill , grazing her cattle.
"Living is an art. Devoting yourself for the welfare of the society and engaging on humanitarian deeds are the best way to live happy life", voice of Magar community elder created rhythmic waves in my heart and mind.
While I visited this village ten years ago, a crowd was gathering in narrow premise of a hut, consoling a 'grandma' who was looked warped vain, swelled eyes -oozing the pain of the sea from her eyes. The scene didn't make me wait long to understand that fate has done injustice to her. Her son was killed by Communist party of Nepal- Maoists' in hostage.
This time, my visit was intended to provide her consolation and help proceed for the relief package as for me she is helpless widow. Quite contrary, meeting her, I learnt to view the world through happy and optimistic lenses.
She attributes helping hands from community people as the cause of her inner happiness. "Greed, hate, and delusion are imperfections that defiles the mind", she recites Siddhartha Gautam .
'Medicine Grandma' is the term attributed to her lately. She gets up before the cock crawling, leave for Churia to collect the medicinal herbs and spend her day reaching out to sick people in her locality. "I get blessing from almighty while serving the poor", she says.
To my utter surprise, she donated the relief money received from Chief District Office (CDO) to a club and intended to support out of school children to bring in school.
"I think I will be alive no more than 10 years. Therefore, I want to spend my remaining old age serving the poor and oppressed". She shared.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About pokharel


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.