Existing Member?

el gran viaje de la nena

It's the unexpected that exceeds the expected

SPAIN | Friday, 9 May 2014 | Views [123] | Scholarship Entry

I am on my way to the airport. A semester abroad in Cadiz... I don't even know anything about that city except for the fact that it is one of our partner universities.
I don't even know where I will end up? I've got a flat, found it on the internet but I can move in there next week. I just ask my future landlord where I could stay for the first couple of days and he told me that he'll find something... 'No pasa nada'. I don't really know my landlord, I don't know where I'm going to stay, but all the unknown things make my journeys interesting.
When I was younger I have been to Spain every summer (Catalonia) it can't be that different. People are so friendly compared to Germany, I love the sound of the language, the music, old markets and the old churches.
But right now I am looking forward to the beach. I just need a beach to be happy...
After living there for 1 month I already knew it's not about the beach. All f my 'not existing expectations' were exceeded already.By what? The people so gentle, so happy. By the music, the noises, the life on the street. Children playing on the street until 1am at night. Having dinner with big groups of friends and families not in fancy/ trendy restaurants, no! But in individual, traditional old bars. Someone told me to go to 'La Isleta'... and so did I. An old bar in a part of the city that is called 'La Vina'. I have been there ordered 'Pollo al Oriental' (Oriental Chicken) and it was beautiful. The bar old, everything made out of dark wood. Amazing drawings on the wall, glass table tops so that everyone could leave a note on the table. I have been there every day and still go there on my holidays. The famous beach in Cadiz 'La Caleta' where Helle Berry came out of the water (James Bond)... I also traveled around Andalusia to see the Feria de Jerez (wine & horse festival). I've been to Seville the most important city with an amazing cultural heritage and impressive buildings. The perfect mixture between a modern and traditional city. I have even been to Morocco which is half an hour away from Tarifa (Spain). I have seen the white villages in Andalusia, Bologna beach that looks like a peace of the Caribbean. And after each trip back to the 'isle' the so called 'Havana' of Europe, Cadiz. It looks like being in Latin- America. Europe's oldest city not that well-known yet but the place to be. I have never been to a place that took my breath away, the stress from home and that made me feel comfortable with myself.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About pocca


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.