Existing Member?

Experience the essence. Feel, love, believe and fall in love, feel the aura of each place and let it captivate your soul, so much so you wont even know how time flies.

A PERPETUAL HALLOWEEN: EDINBURGH

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 21 May 2014 | Views [207]

English literature over generations, have always been glorified time and again. The essence of it is timeless, which makes it so captivating. As I step into the city of Edinburgh, I am rather curious. Many may ask why curious? Well then, let me take you on a trail to the land of the alluring supernatural which has its roots in pain and suffering and harsh times that have been showcased in varied forms of English literature.  

It’s nearing dawn and it’s rather chilly, I walk on the stone pathways and attempt to slowly unravel the mystique of Edinburahhh!! It’s getting darker and chillier by the minute and I am lost in time and feel as if I am walking the roads of 17th century England. The stoned pathways, the arched domes, the golden sky, the sloping pathways, the stone carvings and the monuments, all of it let me go on walking the path despite the chilly and cold weather. So what’s it with this town?  What’s with the constant feeling of eeriness? It’s not as if it’s only place with castles and stoned pathways and well it’s not as if the rest of the UK does not have a gloomy weather, but this place has an enticing darkness to it.

I hop on to a city bus that drops me off at the historic Gladstone house, a typical representation of the then embedded hierarchies that showcased the luxuries of the wealthy and the subservient lives of the poor. It’s interesting how one building could speak volumes and give vivid descriptions of the lives of different classes of people, all of who resided in one building.

My journey goes on as I continue to follow the stone pathway and walk down narrow staircases. I see the writers museum, the place in itself has an aura of inspiration, the power of words that transcended generations. The very lucid and archaic texts showcased the enlightened and creative minds of the time.

I then walk up the path and step into the Edinburgh Castle, the walled fortress that guarded the beautiful city for years. Perched on a volcanic mountain, the castle has many startling and ugly secrets. It was the home of the wealthy but also held captive the prisoners of war. It was in the same castle the king was ordained as the divine ruler for all and showcased his amassed wealth, and it’s under the same king millions were killed and tortured, the ghost of which haunts the city till today.

After unravelling the beauty and enchanted secrets of the enormous castle, I then walk downhill and enjoy the deafening silence until a woman yelps and screeches in front of me. She said “Let me take you on a ghost trail and I am warning you, you will be terrified.” Well thanks for the warning I presume, though my rather curious nature didn’t allow me to hesitate and went on that trail. It’s there I got all my answers. The torture, the sheer torture….. Oh torture doesn’t cut it; it was pain, sheer pain, brutality, evil and cruelty, the cause of which was either religion or royalty.

“Off with his head” the very famous words of Iracebeth (Red Queen of Alice in Wonderland) seemed to have been inspired by the nature of these killings. Countless works of English literature be it Macbeth, or Harry Potter all of it have its roots in darkness and mystique, which so evidently is typical of this charming city. The haunting haunted and the old world charm will captivate you enough and yet let chills run down your spine.

About pneuma


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.