Existing Member?

The world through my eyes...

Chasing the Light

NORWAY | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [911] | Scholarship Entry

Her beauty was mesmerising, even in those still images I flicked through on Google. Her idea was fascinating, and aura strongly magnetic. I could almost hear her speak through the images “come find me, and there will be light”.

Awe struck, as I read more, I realised how elusive her search could be. I knew timing and luck would play a key role in my quest to experience her magical beauty. So one morning in March, I took a flight from London and set out with dogged determination in my quest to find her.

I knew time was scarce, 2 nights some said may not be enough. She tends to play hide and seek with her seekers. While she may choose to open her arms and spread her wings for some, others she may completely ignore.

After landing in Tromso, my only focus was finding her. I did extensive research on local weather conditions, geophysical forecasts, and areas where the chances of finding her were high. I also spoke to a number of locals, and was intrigued how each had their own story to tell and secrets to share about finding this elusive beauty.

Armed with all the knowledge, my GPS, and a hired car, I set out at the fall of dusk on my expedition. An 8 hour adrenalin filled chase followed, fuelled by real time information on her potential whereabouts. My pursuit, however, ended that night without a glimpse from her.
With just one more night left, I knew this was my last chance to find her. As anxiety gripped me, I needed to make a choice. “Should I go chasing her again, like a warrior, in my own car? Or, should I seek the help of an expert?” The romantic in me wanted the former. But my pragmatic side won the mental battle. I engaged the services of a company which helps seekers like me find her.

As the second night of exploration progressed, there were still no signs of her. With every passing hour, I could feel the palpitations in my body. Finally, we drove down to an isolated plateau, filled with snow, in the middle of nowhere. Everywhere I looked, all I could see was the darkness of the sky and the whiteness of the ground.

After freezing in the darkness for almost 3 hours and nearly losing all hope, I saw the white snow gradually turn fluorescent. As I looked up in excitement, the dark sky seemed to be opening up all around and I could see it turn into different hues of green. She was here. For months I had fantasised about viewing the splendour of the Northern Lights, seeing it to believe it. And here I was witnessing the aura of the Aurora!

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About pnandan


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Norway

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.