Existing Member?

Others Can't See

A Local Encounter that Changed my Perspective - Thank You

MALAYSIA | Friday, 15 March 2013 | Views [314] | Scholarship Entry

The sun has set, our train slowly departed to the next destination. I stared outside the windows, with a fear of getting lost under the dark blue sky of Malaysia. Not even a single starlight can be seen from my sight.

I looked around inside, trying to calm my useless worries. Everyone seemed busy minding their own business, they did not even care when the rain started pouring outside. Instead of getting relaxed, the sound of raindrops got on my nerves. ‘How will I find my final destination if rain would not stop at this point?’ I thought to myself. It was my first time traveling abroad without adults, only with the same age travelmates, and unfortunately it was their very first time traveling abroad.

Noticed our helpless looks, a local man approached us. I believe he is half Chinese or Japanese by his fair skin. He has neat looks and nice smile. ‘First time abroad?’ He guessed. I just nodded and smiled, trying to be friendly. He explained that he was a college student and now heading to meet his friends. “Where are you staying?” He asked after a slight of awkward silence.

I told him our destination and surprisingly, he said “Do you mind if I take you there? Because your hotel might be hard to find”. Afraid that he might scam us, we refused the offers politely, instead, we asked him the direction.

The train finally reached our destination, we got off and started to look through our maps. The college student whom I talked to on the train also got off . I thought it was his destination too, so I did not mind him, but he walked toward us and said “Come on, I will take you there.”

We agreed to follow this man because I trust my instinct. He walked a little fast, almost running. His phone kept ringing, he answered the first call but ignored the rests. “I almost there” He mumbled on the phone. He must be really late for the meeting he was headed to. After walked past by about 4 to 5 blocks we reached our hotel safely, without any scratches. The kind man seems exhausted, so we offered a drink but he refused and bode farewell, we thanked him many times for his kindness.

He smiled, “Do not put on puzzled look, people might take advantages on you.” Said he and hurriedly run back to the station to catch the last train. He never looked back.

I dropped my fears and worries right at the moment, not because I expect to meet another kind person, but simply because I want to get to know people around the world better.

And so it begins. My amazing journeys.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About plopipay


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.