Existing Member?

My Six Months Thanks everyone for reading my journal. I'll be updating this over my 6-month break from HP, hopefully every week or so.

Done with Argentina, onto Brazil, & almost home!

USA | Sunday, 31 May 2009 | Views [773] | Comments [7]

Standing in the main plaza of San Carlos de Beriloche, known as the NW entry-point of Argentine Patagonia, I watched as the rain poured down ruining almost the entire list of adventures for this area.

After Santiago, Chile aka ¨smog city¨, I rode a 20 hr bus through dozens of upward switchbacks across the Andes and arrived in Mendoza, Argentina just over the border. I spent 3 days there, meeting up with a few Irish friends whom I´d met in Santiago. The main event in Mendoza was wine tours. So on a mild Saturday we rented bikes and rode to several wineries, chocolate shops, and more gorging ourselves with tasty spirits and food. This western city is the wine capital of the Argentina (produces 70% of the entire country´s wine) and partly of south america. Over and over again I went for the cabernet sauvignons. For dinner the same night I experienced another Argentine specialty... juicy and hearty steak. It was easily on my top 5 best steaks of all time; cooked to perfection, not to red, not overdone, 2 inches thick, and covered in a pepper gravy.... YUM. And the price? $50 bucks or more in the US... here $15 US bucks (45 Arg. pesos). I could move here for this reason alone.

Up next was Bariloche, one of the Patagonia´s adventure capitals. Very popular in their summer season, January and February, and winter season, June-Sept. While I didn´t think about the season before I arrived, it suddenly came to me that I might not see the sun too much. In other words, visions of me and Bear Gryll´s trekking through Andean peak-lined sceneries under blue skies flashed through my mind until the morning of the second day in Bariloche; when the rain started. First I should note there was not a glimpse of sunlight until almost 9 am. I spent the entire afternoon the day before planning what was suppose to be a good adventure day, but found out that trails were closed due to high altitude snow and other activities finished for the season. Ultimately I had 3 options- (1) Ride a bus 30 min NW along the lake to a small peninsula where there were a few easy trails totally 2 hours of hiking.... baby stuff, moving on... (2) Bus 1 hour SW to a high altitude trailhead and snowshoe to the only open hut in the park, spend the night, and possibly see the edge of a glacier... or (3) bus 2 hours south to small city El Bolson where micro climates rule presenting the possibility of no rain.

Although option 2 was enticing, I had no snow gear option 3 it was. Arriving the next day at 11 in El Bolson, it was pouring harder than Bariloche. I had come well-equipped however, gore-tex rain jacket, extra layers, water proof pants, and gortex boots. I soon found a 15km suitable hike from the nearby tourist office (in addition to some ¨this guy is crazy to be hiking on a day like today¨ looks) and set off. The path was dirt road with views on one side of an emergine canyon ultimately leading to a rocky structure that when viewed from the right angle, looked like a face. Everything was going great until halfway through the hike, i lept over an enormous puddle, and my tight fitting pants ripped right in the crotch. Rain poured in and by the time I carried my sorry butt back to the bus terminal... let´s just say ëverything¨was wet!

Most of the other time in Bariloche was spent hanging with a couple from scotland and england (stewart and linva) and another couple from the camen islands and london. After this town, I headed out to Buenos Aires, big city time. After a 20 minute walk from the bus terminal to a central suburb, I found a very cheap single room for 50 pesos per night. Looking in the bathroom here, I started to notice a funny pattern. Many of the places in south america, consider a shower any place where there is water flowing from above.... to clarify, most of the bathrooms just had a shower head in the most random places and would usually soak EVERYTHING... toilet, sink, floor, toilet paper, etc. Often they would include a squeegy to clean up the floor a bit.

Buenos Aires was not the best for me in short. The first incident was right after I checked into the hotel and cleaned up. While walking down the bustling pedestrian path outside my place a guy outside handed me a flyer that said Club Clear (with a picture of some cocktails and beer) and after looking it over, I was seriously interested in checking it out for a potential place to hang out that evening. He said he would show me where it was... just around the corner. Big mistake on my part for following. Next thing I know is I sit down at the bar, 2 girls in lingerie come on either side of me and hand me a drink and started drinking 2 of their own. I refused now realzing this was a strip club or something and got up to leave when a security guy blocked my path. The bartender and him demanded that I pay for my untouched drink AND the girls´ drinks other wise they wouldn´t let me out!!! I argued for 15 minutes and got pretty angry, but soon gave up and forked over a hefty 200 pesos, a good 2-days worth of spending cash. It was 2 pm in the afternoon and I was in there for probably 2 minutes!!!

The second thing that happened was on my 3rd day while innocently exploring a few popular, touristy plazas. While walking around the first one, Plaza de Congressio, a boy about 14 came up, put is hand on my shoulder and started shouting... ¨money amigo, money, money, now, now¨. I was really confused at first and then a second boy, same age, came up on my other side and did the same thing. Speeding up at first, I soon saw 2 more boys come over a fence in front of me and recognized this to be a trap of some sort. One of the guys in front of me put his hand under his shirt, prentending to have a gun. Luckily I easily caught this and knew not to be fooled. While they kept up at my pace, they started kicking my heals and reaching for my pockets. At that point I shoved the front 2 kids and ran a block to get away.... PUNKS. But everything was ok, I was just a little shook up and decided to call it a day after that.

While I wasn´t getting robbed in Buenos Aires, I had a great couple days hanging out with a past Peru travel buddy, Ben from Austrailia. At one point we met up with an actress and teacher I´d met in Peru as well and saw one of her plays titled ¨The Lovers of Autofanes¨. Although we were confused by the language barrier on all the small details, we managed to capture the overall plot. It was staged in the Roman empire times in which the men were fighting a war. The ladies who disliked the war used sex and appeal to lure the men out of the fight... very funny and Belen was the lead too. The last night in BA we met up with Belen again and had a huge steak dinner, an Argentine specialty which Ben had not experienced yet (mine came in Mendoza).

After BA, specifically the kid incident, I had walked straight to the bus station and booked my ticket to the NE corner of Argentina, right on the border of Brazil to Iguazu Falls. This is where I´m writing this message from. I spent 2 days exploring both the Argentine and Brazil side of a shared famous national park that boasts huge waterfalls. The Argentine side included a boat tour and 4x4 cruise which left you completely soaked from a waterfall dip at the end. Finally today, my last day here, I hiked to Tres Fontera, a point that you can see Brazil, Argentina, and Paraguay, all serperated by large rivers.

So this is the last of Argentina! Going to watch some NBA finals tonight at a local pub and then off to Porto Alegre Brazil tomorrow (Sunday 5-31). When I arrive I´ll be spending a couple nights with an HP buddy, Rodrigo Victor and doing a video Halo meeting with some guys from San Diego HP, the GF Angie, and a few others in Oregon. Today marks about 12 days left on this South American trip and I´m getting excited to come home. Sao Paulo Brazil and Rio De Jienero Brazil are the final 2 cities.

Thanks again to you mom, for probably being the only sole reader left on this blog and I´ll be home soon!!

Comments

1

Hi Honey, I guess you are right so far....that little incident would be too much for me. Although if I had been with you, I would have socked them good! Even with my bad hand, my right hook. Be on the lookout for troublemakers and hurry to your HP buddy's house. Love you bunches, Mom

  mom May 31, 2009 8:02 AM

2

Paulo...time to come home.....you have had enough!
We have enjoyed reading about your adventures. Too many close calls. Hope to see you soon...

v&j

  vicki and joe Jun 1, 2009 4:03 AM

3

Paul-We've been reading...we just don't write...take care please...find a big buddy to protect you...or I'll send big bad bau....love M&S

  Mitzi & Steve Jun 1, 2009 1:43 PM

4

Wow Paul, you are on quite the adventure. I hope you are having fun despite the incident with those thugs. Take care. Michelle

  michelle charbonneau Jun 2, 2009 4:28 AM

5

Hey I read it...!
We are glad you are safe Paul. You should have let one of them smell your armpits. That way they would have told everyone else, and no one would have robbed you the whole time.
Maybe next time?
Love you!

  SIS Jun 2, 2009 5:25 PM

6

Paulie, My little baby boy. I should have been there for you. I could have saved you by beating them up for you. You know how crazy I can get. Hurry home. Love you, Chatter

I have been reading, but not for a while and then I didn't write you, babycakes. Sorry

  chatter Jun 3, 2009 11:43 PM

7

Paulie! I am definitely keeping up don't worry...and boy, am I glad I didn't miss this blog. I was speaking to my mom over the phone, and I actually had to read part of it out loud. The way you told these CRAZY stories had us laughing until we were crying! I'm glad you made it out of there alive! That's awfully scary stuff, my friend...Can't wait to see you back in the states!

  For the love of Ducks... Jun 7, 2009 3:24 AM

About plandro

Welcome to my life

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.