Existing Member?

Pirates of the Cam Logbook

Angkor Wat?

CAMBODIA | Monday, 12 July 2010 | Views [533] | Comments [2]

That's right, third day in Cambodia and second cycling around Angkor. And we finally saw Angkor Wat today. In fact, me and Lisa hid when the guards were kicking everyone out (we went on a ledge behind a corner and no, it wasn't dangerous cause there was a terrace-thing right under it) and watched the sunset from there and OH MY GOD, empty Angkor Wat, jungle sounds, chanting in the background... it was breathtaking.And then we had to sneak out without running into a guard. Can it get more Tomb Raider?

In other news: Cambodians are unbelievably friendly, they joke around and smile as they pass each other and it's so at odds with the fact that this country had arguably the most cruel regime of the twentieth century mere 30 years ago... Also, they eat sticky rice that comes in bamboo sticks. That's right. Sticky rice in a stick. Oh and all around Angkor there are these little kids trying to sell you tourist stuff and they are multilingual and have lots of facts about different countries memorized. They knew the name of Australian prime minister (even though she only took post 3 weeks ago) and the *correct* capital, number of inhabitants of Germany etc. They weren't so lucky with Poland though. Apparently the capital of Poland is Amsterdam.

-Eva

 

Comments

1

This is brilliant, keep it up chaps and tell Julian he's missing Brompton Cemetery Open Day on Sunday!

  Arthur Jul 13, 2010 6:02 AM

2

Amsterdam?! You've been lying to me all along Ewa!
Wow those kids are impressive!

  Ax Jul 14, 2010 10:31 PM

About pirates_of_the_cam

The Pirate Crew (with 2 of the missing crew members)

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.