Existing Member?

THE 'REAL' HIDDEN BALI

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Tuesday, 17 April 2012 | Views [132] | Scholarship Entry

My two friends and I had decided to have a ten day stint in Bali. Upon arrival at Denpasar airport, we were whisk away by taxi to our hotel in Kuta. We checked in and met for a drink on the beach. Soon we were surrounded by people selling just about everything. My friends were very content to relax there but I was busting inside to get out of there and find the 'real' Bali.

I made my excuses that I was going for a walk along the beach and once out of sight, I ducked down a small dirt track which led me to a main road. The variety of sights, sounds and smells were captivating me. I found a small alley and headed down there. There was a small hut selling drinks so I decided to have a Fanta fix! The surroundings were very pleasant. It was in the middle of a fruit orchard. So close to the tourist area, but so rural.

There was an old woman staring at me with a toothless grin. I said hello and she came to sit with me. She was so traditional in every way, from her batik sarong to her stretched earring holes. She could speak a little English and I knew some basic Bahasa, but we seemed to communicate so well together. I gave her two silver 50 cent coins and she thought they were beautiful and really surprised me when she stretched her earlobes and inserted a coin into each hole.

After a while her son arrived and could speak better English. We sat and chatted for an hour and then they invited me to their place. I had no idea what to expect but at no time felt in any danger to be heading off down a dirt track with these people I'd just met. Their home was basic but spotless. Soon it was time for me to head back to my friends, but they insisted I stay for dinner. I accepted.

Earlier at the drink stall she had asked me my favorite dishes. Now spread out in front of me was a mouthwatering banquet of my favorite dishes. Until now it is still the best meal I have ever eaten. After giving my gratitude’s and saying goodbye, I headed back down the dirt track to the ‘not so real’ Bali!

Tags: travel writing scholarship 2012

About piphill

Me

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.