Existing Member?

Hanna's Nordic Adventures

The Whirlwind of Iceland

ICELAND | Wednesday, 13 June 2012 | Views [480] | Comments [2]

6:20am June 1st- 1:10am June 3rd 2012

*Pictures available on Facebook!

            Although it’s not fair to attempt to see any place in the space of two days, much less an entire country, that is the time I had and what I tried to do.  As most of you know, I booked a one-way ticket to Sweden this past February via Iceland Air.  If you’re going to be setting down on solid ground anyway, what’s the point of spending only two hours in the airport while you wait for your connecting flight?  Luckily the Icelanders seem to agree and they have a great option of extending your layover for up to a week without adding any additional cost.  (And in fact decreasing my cost, as it allowed me to take the red-eye to Stockholm.)

            With such short time on hand, I tried to plan the first day to the fullest.  I had arranged prior to leaving the states to “couch surf” and I was able to get to the centrally located apartment of Hermann H. Hermannson (Fun fact- Iceland still goes by the traditional way of father’s name and son/ditter for surnames) and drop off my brand new “brown-sugar” 50L hiking Osprey pack, recently packed to almost its fullest.  Hermann had already left for work, but a neighbour let me in and I had enough time to change before heading down the few blocks to catch the shuttle for my first real Iceland experience.

            Thinking a little caffeine wouldn’t be amiss after my short night of restful airplane sleep, I had time to grab a quick latte and almost miss the van that would take me to Laxnes Horse Farm for my Icelandic pony ride  The latte, paired with a handful of hazelnuts, made as good an on-the-go breakfast as possible.  We arrived at Laxnes around 10am and were in saddles half hour later.  My horse, of the “I-wanna-be-first-or-as-close-as-possible” russet-colored  variety, was named Dreyri (drrre-erie) and quickly put us first in line behind the two guides with his nose right to the rump of whoever was in front.  Apparently this is normal.  I remember hoping that none of them are prone to biting…

            The tour itself was very enjoyable and relaxing.  Luckily we were a small group of 6 and even the inexperienced riders quickly adjusted so that we could do a semi-advanced trail for the next two hours.  The scenery was beautiful but also a bit surreal-  bright green flat fields bordering up against the volcanic black ridges with rivulets of snow.  As we climbed up in elevation, the ground gave way from lush green to sunburned brown, reminding me again of the mars-seeming terrain I’d seen on my way from the airport in Keflavík towards the capital. 

            A little over an hour in we stopped to give the horses a break and got the chance walk around.  Not too shabby surroundings.  We were able to look down the valley from above and glimpse a waterfall that poured into the valley just below us.  The climb up to this spot had been undulating but also arduous for the horses, evident from the dark sweat patches on their coats, and they were happy to relax and eat some grass. 

As we rode our way back down, we were able to let the horses have enough reign to try some different speeds.  Not to imply that we ambled the entire way up; the ponies would often pick up their pace when going down inclines to keep momentum for the next uphill.  But on the ride back to the farm we were able to have a break from the jangling trot and relax into a much smoother canter.  My slightly disturbed sits bones would have preferred to do such a pace the entire way back, but the relief was short-lived. 

            It was a fantastic tour, but I do wish the guides had been a bit more verbal.  Nothing was mentioned about the landscape or the names of any of the features.  Though the brochure gave a bit of the history of the Icelandic Horse, once we were actually on them we didn’t learn anything about the horses themselves.  I’d heard a lot about the “tolt” and eventually asked on my own exactly what it was.  I didn’t want to have done the entire ride and then find out I’d never actually felt this special gait.  I can’t know for sure that I actually did, but the tolt was described as a “walk at double pace,” so that it is faster than a walk but slower than a trot.  I think I did get to feel this a bit, as there were times that Dreyri increased his gate but it still felt slightly smoother than a trot.  Or maybe it was just my imagination…

            On our return journey, the ponies knew they were getting close to home and rest and food.  We desaddled and before I knew it I was eating a sausage (gourmet Icelandic hotdog) and was catching the tour bus for my adventure of the Golden Circle afternoon tour with Icelandic Excursions.  Fun facts about Icelandic condiments- much the same as ours, tomato ketchup, mustard, and then some interesting mayonnaise-based herb mixes.  Plus they like to add those crunchy fried onions.

            Before long I was on a large bus headed toward a southern section of the famed Ring Road.  The sightseeing activities included first Thingvellir- the site of the world’s first parliamentary meetings, held by the clan leaders.  The geology of the area with its rifts and rocks and surrounding water created a natural amphitheatre, so the words of the ancient chieftans could be easily projected for all to hear.  From there we went on to see the Gulfoss waterfall, bigger than Niagara so they say.  They must mean in distance downward, as I don’t think it was as wide.  We also got to see some glaciers in the distance; they were so large I wasn’t able to capture their entirety in one photo.  A short ride later we were at the geysers near Stokkur.  The most regular one goes off about every 8 minutes, but only lasted for about 5 seconds.  Barely time to snap a picture!

            While the views were pretty spectacular, there’s obviously a lot of Iceland I didn’t get to see.  The stops were all very touristy and our “tour” was mostly just a shuttle from place to place.  Not a ton of additional information added and I had trouble staying awake on the bus, beginning to really feel some jetlag. 

I was amazed at how diverse the geology and topography was.  Some landscapes looked absolutely foreign, like being on another planet, while others looked like the lush farmland of Pennsylvania, and other areas gave views of incredible lakes and oceans.  I was often reminded of the highlands of Scotland, but the colors were all wrong.  I remember thinking that even the most fertile fields looked like they could only have several inches of good soil.  The land of Iceland does feel incredibly new, as if the newly formed igneous rocks- even when not visible- couldn’t be more than a few inches beneath the surface.

 

That might seem like a full day in and of itself, but I was home from the tour by about 7:30pm and it ended up being quite a late night.  I met Hermann and the French couple that was also couchsurting, and we prepared some tasty Icelandic salmon after heading for a quick trip to the store.  *Salmon is often cheaper than chicken in both Iceland and Sweden.  My kind of place!

Being at such a high latitude, the sky was bright and sunny even at 10pm.  This certainly helped keep my energy levels up even when I should have been tired.  Because of the light and good conversations, we didn’t end up eating until late evening, and during the dishes we got a good look at the sky at sun “set” about 11:30.  The sky was still incredibly bright, and though the sun did sink below the horizon, we never lost that pink-orange glow before the rest of the sky began to brighten. 

We rallied to see some of the famous Reykjavík nightlife and I’ll suffice it to say we got home a little before 5am.  But when the sky is never dark it seems odd to halt the good company and local scenes, and in face, even when we left the last bar for home I felt like I could keep going.  It is a nice feeling though, heading back finally for some sleep with the sun bright on your face.

I finally got a few hours of some much-needed sleep and then had a nice lazy Icelandic local day.  The natural hotsprings nearby Reykjavik are much too touristy and expensive but they have built pools that are made to be similar that are much cheaper and open all year long.  In Iceland they value water very much and even small towns have public, affordable pools with hot baths as well.  Then we went on a picnic (Icelandic smoked salmon, this time) and learned about the hidden folk, or elves and fey, that apparently half the population believe in.  Speaking of population, I was amazed to discover that the entire population is only 300,000 people!  

For dinner we had an Icelandic Tapas feast where I got to try exotic things like puffin and whale, as well as fish and shrimp and lobster and lamb.  Then we got back and I went to the bus station to catch a trip to the airport for my 1am flight to sweden.  The parting words from the bus were “Did you like Iceland?  Have a good trip?  Yeah?  Well  then you should move here… we need more people!”

 

Comments

1

Great posting, Hanna! I copied it to send to Gramme'.

  Mama Jun 14, 2012 12:44 PM

2

I look forward to reading more!

  Hiromi Jun 14, 2012 4:31 PM

About pingryh


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Iceland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.