Existing Member?

Value for Money

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - Journey in an Unknown Culture

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 28 March 2011 | Views [259] | Scholarship Entry

Free Rides in Bangkok

My plans of traveling to Thailand for 5 days, staying only in Bangkok elicited two kinds of responses – slight half smiles with a glint in the eye or happy squeals followed by a rattling off of what I should buy from where.

Shopping (for sex or otherwise) was furthest from my mind. This trip was an anniversary gift for Shie, my wife, who would be making her first trip abroad. Traveling on a shoestring budget, we wanted to desist from doing typical touristy things and yet experience the city and its people as much as possible, focusing on the city’s cultural, historical and natural heritage. Staying in a relatively comfortable hotel, we planned to cut cost by eating the exotic yet inexpensive street food and by using the city’s mass transport systems.

The City Line train from the Airport to Phayathai and a change to the Skytrain system to Nana brought us to our hotel in Sukumvit at a fraction of the usual taxi fare. The bird’s eye view of the city lit up and decorated for Christmas and glimpses of a high energy public concert at Siam Square gave us a sense of arrival. Despite the frequent language barriers the locals were very helpful while giving directions.

Next day we planned to see the Vimanmek Mansion and visit the Dusit Park and Thewet areas but it was difficult to find out the bus route, with everyone suggesting that we should take a taxi. The bus that we took brought us far away from our intended destination to the Silom area. Modifying our plans we soaked in the sites of the area on foot ending up in a lane lined with small outlets selling myriad varieties of food. After gorging on some noodle soup we got directions to the Central Pier of the ferry service. Traveling on a fast boat up the gently rolling waters of a busy river was a thrilling experience. Getting off at pier N9 we reached the Grand Palace and were soon immersed into the dazzling and breathtaking display of craftsmanship at the Palace complex. After a quick visit to Wat Pho, we watched the sun set across the river from a park near Pier N8 and moved on to the Chinatown.

We made our most interesting discovery at Chinatown, waiting for a bus to Sukumvit after a hearty meal. An elderly gentleman pointing to an approaching red bus told us, “to Sukumvit… no pay… free bus”. Seeing our confusion he explained further, “red bus… blue line over driver glass… free bus”

Over the next few days we went to places like Jim Thompson’s House, National Museum, National Theatre, Chatuchak Market, etc. We took the skytrain, the river and canal ferries, but whenever possible despite the city’s infamous traffic snarls, looking for the red buses with a blue banner on the windscreen became our own private game… sort of like playing the lottery with a free bus ride as its prize.

Tags: #2011Writing, Travel Writing Scholarship 2011

About pinaki


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.