Existing Member?

Delayed Flight

Addis Ababa

ETHIOPIA | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [205] | Scholarship Entry

I did not plan to go in, but was compelled by natural forces, bad weather had made it impossible to leave Lagos on schedule and we left about 3 hours later, and so, we missed the connecting flight to Seoul.
The best thing for the airline to do in this circumstance would be to process transit visas for us and put us up in a hotel pending when the next flight would be available, that they did.

The 2 days that we were 'sequestered' in Hotel International in the Bole area of Addis Ababa gave me the opportunity to observe the city.
The city of Addis Ababa which means New Flower, was founded more than 100 years ago by Emperor Menelik.
In Addis Ababa you cannot find commercial auto-bike riders which takes its patrons to the nooks and crannies of major cities in Africa I have been privileged to visit.
You are sure to see and observe a certain level of orderliness and everyone seem to be mindful of their business. The people are warm and friendly, though a bit laid back.
Being a foreigner, you are charged for goods and services in US Dollars, unless you indicate interest to pay with Ethiopian Birr, the local currency.

Another thing I observed about Addis Ababa is that they seem to have a very good maintenance culture, you would see old model, but serviceable vehicles on the road and some being used as taxis, vehicles whose 'age mates' in Nigeria had long been consigned to the scrap yards and history.
The hotel staffers speak English and French or, they at least have an ability to do, they are also very polite and courteous.

The aerial view of Addis Ababa at night is what I would like to describe as clusters of chandeliers in a very large expanse.
The Bole International Airport, which is their main international gateway from every indication is well maintained. It is clean, well organised and you would observe a high level of efficiency and seamless operations at work.

Nature made the mistake of using bad weather of about 3 hours delay which culminated into a 2-day tourism opportunity for me at no expense.
It was a "fortunate mistake".

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About pilgrimsprogress


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ethiopia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.