Existing Member?

Sowing small seeds

My Video scholarship 2010 entry

WORLDWIDE | Tuesday, 15 June 2010 | Views [1761] | Scholarship Entry

"Where the Clouds Come Home" began with a chance meeting at a party. When my new friend told me about his homeland, Meghalaya (lit. "the land where the clouds come home"), I felt it would make an wondeful setting for a film. When he told me about the uranium mining plans, and notably about Spillity Langrin, the female landowner who appears in the video here, I knew I had my story.

I explored the potential characters with my friend, and contacted another film-maker who had worked in the region. We began crafting a treatment. In November 2009 I self-funded a filming trip to Meghalaya and explored the region. On location, my understanding of the characters grew and I adjusted accordingly to find the strongest stories.

The challenges were many. I was filming solo in a remote area, so when my camera faulted I had to take a circuitous route to find a back up. I relied on a translator for interviews - something I'd never done before. To get to the mining village we drove through the night and on arrival went straight into a full shooting day, before repeating the through-the-night journey to return.

I plan to develop this project into an hour-long documentary. As a film-maker my ambition is to make documentaries for international distribution which tell engaging, artful stories about captivating characters, which motivate, challenge and inspire people towards positive social change. I have much to learn in order to fulfil that ambition, and your scholarship would provide the opportunity to make steps towards realising my dream.

Tags: 2010 travel video scholarship

About pilgrimatic


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.