Existing Member?

Live and let live!

I am a sailor

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 15 May 2015 | Views [105] | Scholarship Entry

Nothing seemed to be working at home grounds, somehow no matter what I took up just didn't seem to work out!I knew deep down inside that I had to flee this place for a few months maybe years to understand my life and probably just take a break. That's when everything finally fell apart...and my self esteem!
So, I finally decided that it was time for me to abandon this place and live my life - live an adventure!
A friend helped me with the ship job and after one year of applying (YES! One long year) I finally got my ticket to freedom! BOM-LXR one way ticket. A one way ticket brings a lot of mystery to ones life, you just never know when and most of all, how will you ever come back.
I was so excited to see what happens on the other side of the world, is the water really black in the Black Sea, is Paris just as beautiful and romantic as they portray it! Well, we shall find out just that and more!
It took me 3 hours to reach Harwich port and of course we were lost most of the time on the way...as NO one knows where Harwich actually is. But the most amazing moment of my life was about to come. There she was the ever so majestic and my future home the Royal Caribbean Ship. Jewel Of The Seas! Absolutely, magnificent, much more than what my imaginations could ever fathom! My entry to the ship was quick and brisk. The first night was somewhat like sleeping in a huge bottle toppled in to water. The ship was moving, the cabin was cracking every minute with a loud harsh sound every 15 minutes. Ironically work was fun! We were like a Mafia... working together constantly and planning and implementing different ideas.
The next day was planned - wake up at 8:00 am and move out. It was a miracle, I was so confused and dazed as I walked out of the gangway to find another port...another town...no no another Country all together! This was France... and the port Cherbourg! Oh my god, this moment was magical!! like a fantasy come true. I walked out and saw the wonderful European city and then it followed with Ireland, Iceland and after six slow and tedious and continuous days at sea conquered Boston, Bar Harbour, Helifax, Portland. WOW!
My mind was numb with excitement! This was truly an adventure. Some say life on the ship is hell... and some cannot leave it even after 15-20 years! Some are sick of it, some are crazy in love with it! well. I am yet to decide. Maybe one trip was not enough.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About picturesinparadise


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.