Existing Member?

Frayme Photography Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Hawaii

USA | Saturday, 5 November 2011 | Views [200]

Hello, my name is Faye and I am a Wildlife Conservation student in the UK. When I was ten, I got my first camera, a lovely compact flash by Canon. When I was twelve, I put up a map on my wall and put a pin in every place in the world I wanted to see. Seven years on, more pins have been added and there are now dozens, along with pictures of animals I want to see in those places. And that lovely compact flash has been replaced by an SLR along with thousands of pictures over the years.

When I finished school in the Netherlands, I was lucky enough to visit the amazing island of Hawaii, also known as the Big Island. It is characterised not only by the beautiful Hawaiian culture, but also by the world’s most active volcano: Kilauea. I hope to convey the story of Kilauea’s power in my pictures, which show the beaches that nowadays are popular for surfing, but what, underneath the black sand, once used to be a village.

There is nothing I feel more passionate about than wildlife and teaching people about it; why we need to conserve wildlife, why it is beautiful and why I love it so much. Over the past years I have found that photography is not just a form of art – it is a platform to reach out to people, to touch them and to provoke thought about our world.

With this scholarship, I could combine my three biggest passions: photography, wildlife and travelling. I sincerely hope you can read the story in my pictures and feel the way I felt when I saw new earth being created on Hawaii. Thank you, for this opportunity, and all the best.

Faye Vogely

About photographyscholarship


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.