Existing Member?

Where to next? This is a journal about Phil's progress as he backpacks his way west from his beloved Japan.

Tibet

CHINA | Monday, 3 September 2007 | Views [889]

Shangri-La, the Land of Snows, call it what you like Tibet is here and so is every tourist and his dog. Lots of dogs actually. Lhasa is like nowhere else you could imagine. Just hundreds of people walking clockwise around religious edifices such as the Jokhang temple, chanting, whirling their spinney things (to ward off evil spirits?) and throwing themselves to the ground in full-bodied prostration.  Then there are the multicoloured prayer flags, the chanting, the fiddling with beads, the incense... Very otherworldly and very interesting.

Yesterday was spent driving through magnificent scenery to Namtso Lake, the highest lake in the world at around 5000 metres, accompanied by yaks, hawkers and a stunning altitude-induced headache. Once we'd escaped the yak herders and hawkers we had a very nice time enjoying the bluey blue of the lake and high-intensity sunburn.

Today I visited Sera Monastery to watch the monks debating. Fantastic two hours of entertainment. Lots of clapping, pointing, stamping, and even grabbing of robes. Apparently they were debating sutras in order to interpret them better, but give them St George's Cross flags and pints and anyone would think they were talking about why the shit Emile Heskey has been recalled to the England squad.

The next stage of my journey should take me to recently bombed Nepal - super. It's been a struggle organizing the trip but with luck we should be off on Thursday. Fingers crossed...

Tags: general, sera monastary, tibet

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.